I need help! Something is wrong with my hen turkey, but what?

peeplover29

Hatching
8 Years
May 28, 2011
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and hopefully I can find some help here with you all. I have a hen turkey about a year old. I don't know what breed she is, but she's all white. Well, its been a while now that her feet are very swollen and when I touch them they feel like a water balloon. She'll walk around and sometimes run if she has to, but the majority of the day she'll just lay. I often have to carry her into her coop and she's extremely heavy, heavier than my Tom. What can be causing her feet to swell up. She also has some weird stuff on her head and neck. They are little pea-size bumps with black in the middle of it. Some of my hens are a
lso getting it. What could that be? I would really appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Sounds like she may be a BBW. They usually don't live long lives and are prone to leg problems. As far as the bumps and the fact that your some of your other birds have them too, my best guess would be fowl pox.

Sounds Like She Is A Broad Breasted White And Is Past Processing Time. Do Her A Favor And Have Her For Dinner. If You Cannot Bring Yourself To Do This Then Put Her On A Diet And Maybe She Will Go A While Longer. Make Her Work For Her Dinner. Free Range For Bugs And Stuff

Thanks guys for your feedback. I googled fowl pox and sure enough...It's exactly what my turkey has and I read that there is no cure for this. As far as her legs, I don't know what to do to help her. Someone told me it was fluid retention but how can I help her with that? I don't have the heart to put her down. Having her laying around all the time I doubt she'll go look for bugs. Is there any kind of special feed that I can give her? I really don't want her to die. :-(

just slow down on the feeding schedule. let her free range longer in teh morning before you feed the birds. They will roam about and find treats on there own. When you do feed them put out only enough to be gone in about 15 minutes and take it back up. feed in the late morning and before sundown. Hope this helps.

Thank you, I will follow your recommendations and see if she progresses. Thanks for everything!!

If you like turkeys for pets, you might want to consider a heritage breed in the future. They live longer, look nicer, and exhibit more personality than the broad-breasteds.

Back
Top Bottom