1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need help telling what gender!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mychookschick, Sep 5, 2009.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    YourLinkGoesHere I have 24 Golden Comet "hens" and a barred rock mix roo. The hens are 11 1/2 weeks old. I have just noticed a "hen" that is growing a bigger comb and wattles. There is also another "hen" who is growing one wattle much bigger than the other. I am very confused [​IMG]. I am new to chickens and need help.

Is there a way to tell from the under side what gender a chicken is?

Thankful for any help [​IMG] ,
    luvmygoldencomets

2. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    If I am thinking correctly, Golden Comet is just another name for a Sex-Link. So if all your Golden Comets are mostly golden color then they are all female. Males would be mostly white with just a hint of color in them.

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    It is easiest to tell the sex of a chicken by examining the feather shapes in certain areas, and sometimes things like legs will give it away. If you have any question, a pic would give us the opportunity to show you what to look for- although these are supposed to be sex-links, meaning they are one color at hatch if female and another if male, sometimes you'll get another breed in by accident because they look similar.

Pop some pics up and we can show you what to look for!

4. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Thank you! That is very helpful! I don't know what I would do if I had two roos!

Thanks so much,
    luvmygoldencomets [​IMG]

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Are these first generation golden comets (from a hatchery) or have they been bred gold comet hen to gold comet roo? If they are sexlinks from a hatchery, then you can tell their sex by their coloring. If they have been privately bred, then they may or may not be actual sexlinks - it depends on what the hens & roos were. I'm just questioning because one of the 11 1/2 week olds is a barred rock mix and not a purebred.

6. mychookschick

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Sorry guys but I can't figure out how 2 make a pic show up in the post. so thanks 4 all your help.

luvmygoldencomets [​IMG]

7. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Click 'Uploads' in the menu bar across the top of the page ------^

Browse to the pic you want to upload and then click upload- wait patiently until the image shows up with two lines of code underneath.

After you upload the image, copy the stuff that's in the 2nd line under the picture when it's done. Paste those words in your post, and it'll turn into the picture after you hit 'submit' on the post. It doesn't show until it's submitted.

It should look like this, "{img]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14596_august09_426.jpg[/img}" but without the quotes and the beginning and ending brackets will automatically be normal brackets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by