I need HELP treating Coccidiosis

crobbins2009

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2016
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with some questions about treating cocci.

I have my normal flock of laying hens, and I bought some meat birds about a month ago. I just recently placed them outside in the coop with my bigger chickens about a week ago. Yesterday I went outside to some meat birds with weird looking eyes, drooping heads, some were by themselves just standing all puffed up and not moving much, etc. I'm pretty sure that this is cocci. Since last night 2 of my meat birds have died, and I don't think a few of the others have long left.

Anyhow when I moved them outside I switched to an all flock feed as I was having issues keeping my older chickens out of the medicated feed.

My main questions are:

Can I treat with Corid?

If so, should I treat all the chickens with corid, or just trap the meat birds and treat only them?

If I treat with Corid, is there an egg withdrawal period?

Is there anything that I can do for the chickens that seem to be pretty far along with Corid?

I've been researching a lot, and I can't seem to find some answers. If my older chickens have cocci, it is okay because they have built up a resistance to it. Is this correct? Or do they need to be treated. They haven't shown any signs, but I'm nervous that they will catch something from my sick chicks.

You'll want to treat all of the birds that couldn't come in contact with sick birds with corid.

Mix 2 tsp of 9.6% liquid corid into 1 gallon of water. Make as many gallons as you need for your flock and treat ALL of the chickens. I've had my chicks on medicated feed and treated with corid with absolutely no problems. There is no egg withdrawal period, some people don't like to eat eggs while they're on any medication but there is no withdrawal period labeled.

Make sure this is the ONLY SOURCE OF WATER. Remake new water with corid everyday. Treat with 2 tsp per gallon for 5-7 days. The corid really helps even if your birds seem really sick.

There is no need to treat your layer hens for coccidia. They are already resistant to the strains of coccidia in their environment. It's the young birds that need treating. However, all sources of water that they drink from need the medication added, to be sure that the affected birds are getting treatment. It will not harm birds that don't need it. Also, medicated feed is safe for birds of all ages to eat. Medicated feed contains a thiamine blocker. It's a very low dosage that helps birds to develop a resistance to coccidia, without becoming ill. Corid is the same thiamine blocker, but at a higher concentration for treating active outbreaks. You can still eat eggs laid by hens that are drinking water with Corid in it.
In future, be sure to offer a chunk of soil to new birds before you put them outdoors, and give them medicated feed for a few weeks to give their systems a chance to develop resistance to the coccidia in your soil.

There is no need to treat your layer hens for coccidia. They are already resistant to the strains of coccidia in their environment. It's the young birds that need treating. However, all sources of water that they drink from need the medication added, to be sure that the affected birds are getting treatment. It will not harm birds that don't need it. Also, medicated feed is safe for birds of all ages to eat. Medicated feed contains a thiamine blocker. It's a very low dosage that helps birds to develop a resistance to coccidia, without becoming ill. Corid is the same thiamine blocker, but at a higher concentration for treating active outbreaks. You can still eat eggs laid by hens that are drinking water with Corid in it.
In future, be sure to offer a chunk of soil to new birds before you put them outdoors, and give them medicated feed for a few weeks to give their systems a chance to develop resistance to the coccidia in your soil.

Thank you so much for the info -- I think you answered everything that I was nervous/ curious about! I will go to the store and grab some corid asap. I never had an outbreak of corid before, so this is eye opening. I had no idea that it happened so quickly. I guess I just assumed that I'd notice it coming on with enough time to treat.

Advice is def noted for the next time I get baby chicks!

You'll want to treat all of the birds that couldn't come in contact with sick birds with corid.

Mix 2 tsp of 9.6% liquid corid into 1 gallon of water. Make as many gallons as you need for your flock and treat ALL of the chickens. I've had my chicks on medicated feed and treated with corid with absolutely no problems. There is no egg withdrawal period, some people don't like to eat eggs while they're on any medication but there is no withdrawal period labeled.

Make sure this is the ONLY SOURCE OF WATER. Remake new water with corid everyday. Treat with 2 tsp per gallon for 5-7 days. The corid really helps even if your birds seem really sick.

Thank you! I will do as such! Makes me a little less nervous now that I don't have to have an egg withdrawal period :)

Back
Top Bottom