I need help. Trying to find out what is wrong with my chicken, Ester.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hollidayckinn, Feb 25, 2013.

1. hollidayckinn

hollidayckinn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    my chicken has a lot of poop on her and a long white thing hanging out of her. It doesn't look like the pictures i saw for prolapsed vent or oviduct. She seems to be in pain and I don't know what it is and what to do. It is white and round, a little larger than a pencil, about 2 inches long. I really need some help and would like to see pictures that might help me figure out what it is. I have 4 laying hens and I love them. I don't want to loose one. This is the first time I have ever had a problem and they are almost 1 yr. old.
    thanks for any help. I'm sorry to post again but I have looked everywhere on net and can't find an answer. I'm scared she is going to die but I just don't know what to do. I feed the chickens with laying food from tractor supply, give them oyster shells and treats. I keep the coop clean, new shavings, clean water and containers. They get scratch and love to scratch around in the garden. very careful when i handle them. Keep their water from freezing and let them out everyday to rumage around the yard. I always keep an eye on them, they always come running when they see me and are not afraid of me. They let me pick them up and rub them. I just need answers and alot of help. Even the two books I bought do not have this type of thing in them. I sure hope someone will talk to me before it's too late.
    thanks and God bless you all.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Is there anyway you can post a picture? Its really impossible to figure this out without one! eek! I'm sorry!

3. SummerCK

SummerCK Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    Im new with chickens so i dont know much about diseases or worms but that kind of sounds like it might be a tape worm. I dont know if that would cause pain though.

4. hollidayckinn

hollidayckinn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    I really appreciate your replys. What ever it was it went back in. I put her a sink of warm water, washed her bottom, after she was pretty dry I put ph on her. It seemed to help and she seemed better . She stills has a red and a little swollen bottom, I'm keeping her clean, a little med. on her. I hope things look better in the morning.
    Thanks and God bless. I'll post after I check her again. Have a good one!

5. I hope she gets 100% better soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by