I need help with 2 sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rich0790, Mar 6, 2014.

1. rich0790

rich0790 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    I'm new to raising chickens so I'm at a loss as to what I need to do. I came home from work to find my sex link laying next to the water dish. She didn't move when I went in which was definitely odd. As I lifted the door to my coop to gather eggs I saw my older rhode Island red getting off the nesting box with a excessively large smear of foam looking feces. I opened up the door like I normally do in the afternoon to let them free range. I didn't notice any odd behavior from the RIR just the mess on her behind. The black sex link moved around the yard but always ended up laying down where ever she was. I never could catch her moving but kept seeing her in different places laying down.
    Unfortunately I had parent teacher conferences that I had to be at so I had to go. When I came home 4 hours later I found my healthy girls roosting like normal but the RIR is laying under the nesting boxes and the sex link is laying down on the ground underneath the coop.

Any ideas of what could be causing this and what I need to do? I definitely don't want to loose my girls and I don't want it spreading to my other girls.

Added info to help: These girls were supposed to be 1 year old (so said the man I bought them from) but they have never been good layers. The sexlink lays a ginormous egg once a month or so and the RIR has been laying fairy eggs the past 2 days but before that wasn't laying eggs more than 1 time every month or so.

I feed them a mix of pellets and layer feed.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would check their vents for egg binding with a rubber glove, and lubricated finger. Feel of their abdomens for anything unusual or masses, swelling. Foamy poo can be cecal poop or from worms. Sitting down a lot may mean leg problems--sprain, viral arthritis, infection such as mycoplasma synoviae, bumble foot, or something else. Look at the color of their poops. Check their crops in the morning when they should be empty, for impacted crop. If you worm them, useSafeGuard or Valbazen, rather than Wazine that only gets round worm.

3. rich0790

rich0790 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2013
    Their combs are lying side ways. I took a few Picts to see if that would be helpful unfortunately they are hiding under the coop so the Picts aren't fabulous. The 1 pict shows the feces smeared all over the RIR. I also took a pict of her droppings if that helps too. My plan for now is to check for sores on their feet and to wash them off with warm water and them layer on some hemorrhoid cream. Any ideas of information would be extremely helpful. Thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I always recommend thinking about coccidiosis when there is diarrhea. That stool doesn't look runny, but having a messy rear can mean diarrhea or vent gleet. Your hens should be immune by now, but when they change homes or are around new bird, they may get a different strain of cocci. Corid or amprollium is the treatment for 5 days. Her are a couple of links to read: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
    http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by