I need help with a broken swollen toe

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kassiroll, Mar 8, 2013.

1. kassiroll

kassiroll New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    I'm new to backyard chickens, but need some help. I have a chicken that is about 2.5 years old and was attacked by a fox (I think) a couple months ago. It had a broken toe (bent backwards), but after a week was keeping up with the rest of the chickens and running around like normal only with a bent toe. After months of her being okay, I noticed her limping today. I looked at her broken toe and it is swollen. I can't find anything online to tell me what is wrong, and I'm worried she is in pain. It is slightly pinkish/purplish and only swollen at the joint where it is bent. Any ideas or suggestions? I really appreciate it!

2. jocuzz

jocuzz New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    I'm sorry our chicken is hurt! But you are amazing and beautiful and I love you so much! I can't wait to be home for the weekend in 2 hours!

Can anybody help us out with this?

-Her husband, the luckiest guy ever.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try posting in the "Raising backyard chickens" forum - emergencies/diseases/ injuries section. I welcome the two of you to BYC.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kassiroll (and jocuzz as well), and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I think this is my first husband and wife joint greeting! I X2 the advice of sourland! Hope she's back in the swing of things in no time! Best wishes!

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]glad to have you join us. Is there a vet you could call for advice? The fact of it being swollen and color changing, maybe she needs antibiotics asap!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I would guess that she caught it on something and reinjured it. Given time is may heal again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by