I need help with a Preemie or injured duckling..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tacswa3, May 21, 2019.

1. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Songster

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    I am letting my female ducks hatch and care for their ducklings. Yesterday 2 new ones hatched and they seemed fine. Later in the day I find one out in the middle of the pen left for dead. It was wet (don't know how that happened) and barely breathing. I scooped it up, got under it under a heat lamp and it fluffed back out.

The poor thing can't stand for long, won't open its eyes much and lays its neck and head flat. There seems to be a scab on the side of its head as well so not sure if this injury is causing the problems. It will perk up a little when touched or picked up but as soon as you place it back down, it lays flat.

I want to try and give the little fella a chance. I'm trying to get vitamin water in it via a syringe, seems it will take a little but its not that easy. It will even shake its head if the water gets where he doesn't want it. I imagine food will be harder to feed?

What do you all recommend to do to get food and water in this fella?

Jpat likes this.
  2. 2 many chickens

2 many chickens Songster

Jan 14, 2017
    Try Nutri Drench. Dribble a bit along his bill.
    They sell it online and at many feed stores.

Miss Lydia and Jpat like this.
  3. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Songster

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    That is what I've been using. Just got done giving it straight. Not diluted.

Miss Lydia and MelissaRose like this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Are they separated from the other flock members? Ducks without Ducklings will kill newly hatched. Secure pens for Momma and babies with feed and water is needed.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

If the duckling is less than 24hrs old it probably doesn't need anything other than rest to recoup. But dribbling the nutria drench along the bill has less chance of going down the wrong hole and causing the duckling to aspirate.
    chicken really is right though it's best to keep mamas and ducklings separated from the rest of the flock but sometimes mamas will also attack their newly hatched ducklings too so try and keep watch so you'll know exactly what is going on.

DuckyDonna and starri33 like this.
  6. Tacswa3

Tacswa3 Songster

Dec 16, 2013
    MD
    Unfortunately the duckling passed a bit ago.

All the other ducklings are with the mother(s)

chickens really and Jpat like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: