I need help with a rooster ASAP!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ataloss, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Ataloss

Ataloss New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    hi I do not own chickens last time I was involved with them I was 10 yrs old..... last night my neighbors last minutes asked me to watch their chickens!!! not rooster! chickens!! I didn't know up until tonight they had a rooster!!! so I go to water and feed the chickens no problem right.... WRONG!!!! I get caught off guard by this huge beast of what I thought was a chicken (Seeing as I was supposed to watch chickens) but then I regain my composure and see a rooster flapping its wings at me and trying to attack me.... about 20 minutes later I get the feed out and replace their water and the whole time I am trying to cover myself in defence against the rooster I walked out with my jeans ripped and a few good sashes :( needless to say I am NOT a happy camper... but the reason I am on here is because I have another 2 weeks of this to deal with because no one will deal with a rooster and I don't want to starve the chickens, how can I deal with the rooster so I am safe while doing the chores???? PLEASE I need help!! and I cant reach the family who owns them seeing as their out of country! HELP

2. Ataloss

Ataloss New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    any help on this would be appreciated, I am not looking for a long term thing I just need something to help for the next couple weeks, I don't know how to use the coat hanger hook idea so that is out of the question Thank you all in advance

3. [​IMG]

Very sorry, roosters can be aggressive sometimes. By the way chickens is implying roosters and hens. Anyways, back to your issue. He will attack more if you afraid, so be brave. If he seems to be coming towards you don't move. He will simply no-longer see you as a threat and most likely walk away. If he stays near your legs while you are frozen remain still. If he is walking around you, any sudden movements may cause him to attack. If he is about to attack you, put your foot up, and he will peck the bottom of your shoe, which shouldn't hurt right?
    Good luck!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

5. Ataloss

Ataloss New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    will definatly give it a go :) just glad I opted out bringing my kids :$ just another small question.... they said they feed their chickens during the day.... I told them because of my job I would only be able to do it in the evening would that have something to do with the aggressiveness??? thank you

6. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

There are several things you can do. The easiest would be to put the rooster in a separate pen and not let it out until they get back. If there is not already a pen there for one rooster, see if you can borrow a large dog kennel. It would be easiest to catch him at night in the dark (get some help) an put him in the 'time-out' cage.

If that is just not possible, take a garbage can lid or a tennis racquet with you when you feed to keep him off of you, don't hit him, that will only make it worse. Just keep it between you and the rooster while you feed.

If you are brave, catch him as he is trying to get you. Grab him by the leg, tail, wing, or whatever you can grab and hold him down. If you can get his head on the ground and hold him there, he will be humiliated and humbled (dominated) and may give you a wide berth. This takes nerve, strength, and skill.

The other thing I would try, if I were you, would be to take treats with you to do the chores. As soon as he sees you, and you see him, give HIM the treats. Only give him a few at a time and let him share with the hens. He will tidbit to them, reinforcing the bond between him and the hens. He may then see you as an ally instead of a threat.

Good luck and be careful!

1 person likes this.
  7. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Chickens usually fill up with food before they go to bed at night. Try to feed them early enough that they can eat their fill before they go to roost. I leave enough feed out that they can eat whenever they want.

8. Ataloss

Ataloss New Egg

Feb 7, 2014
    I like the kennel idea I may give that a try

9. herechilychiky

herechilychiky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Central Fla.
    Welcome to BYC!! I'm sorry about your hardship, but you cracked me up!! What a story. I could hear the despiration in your writing! Those boys can really be mean, especially if he thinks your going to hurt his ladies. Wisher1000 has allot of good ideas!! You've come to the right spot! Good luck and keep us posted [​IMG]

10. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

Make sure he has food and water at all times! Otherwise, as long as he is not too hot or too cold he will be fine there for a while. You may want to let him out a few days in the middle of the two weeks, but it will likely be okay to just leave him up. Put food and water on the door so it will not get knocked over and shavings in the bottom. I have kept a hen in a dog crate in my garage for a month, before. She had a broken leg and I wanted it to heal completely before the other hens and the rooster could mess with her. She got really tame and didn't seem to mind at all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by