I need help with devil chick!

romien

Chirping
Apr 2, 2016
Rocky Ford CO.
I have been incubating 3 eggs for the very first time and finally had one hatch. I took him out of the incubator when he was finally dry. I noticed this little guy likes to bite everything and will chase your finger like a cat does a string. He is quiet comical. 24 hours later, the second chick hatched and I took him out of the incubator when he was mostly dry. I let him settle a little and get his legs going. He is different than the first chick as he doesn't want to bite every thing and will gladly stay put when wiggling my finger on the floor. I decided to put him in with the first chick to they wouldn't be lonely and have a buddy. Well that didn't go well at all. The first chick went after him right away and he was pecking hard on his head and beak. I waited until the next morning and tried again, and the same thing happened!!! I never seen anything so horrible. So, I don't know what to do and I have one egg left in the incubator that should hatch today. Is this devil chick like that because he doesn't know the other is one of him? Will he grow up to be a bully. What do I do??
barnie.gif

Last edited:
It's probably a "he" ;) A cockerel will be more aggressive, alert, territorial, etc... It could be 2 boys, too. That would cause one to be more assertive than the other as well. Being newly hatched, they shouldn't be able to cause too much physical harm, even though the eye pecking can look really painful.... Best bet is to keep them together so they can properly bond and establish a pecking order. Giving the less aggressive one a couple of things to hide in or climb on may help; ie, a branch to climb and a small chunk of bark or something similar to hide under. You could even use a piece of screen to divide the brooder in half, so they can see each other but not interact. Then, remove it after they settle down.

They'll eventually have to get along, so doing it now while they're young and relatively harmless will probably be easier than when they're older. Best wishes!

I have a divider in now, but this chick is relentless and will constantly go after the other one. He wants to kill it. he goes for the head eyes and beak. He knocks the other backwards and attacks again and again. I have never seen anything like it. I think I am going to see how the the 3rd chick and second chick get along. I may have to find a home for devil chick if he doesn't straiten up. I will take your advice about the see thru divider. I just have to figure out what to use.

What kind of feed do they have? Maybe he's needing more protein or something, an egg yolk maybe?... Eyes are always delicious looking, as are little feet that look like worms etc... He could just be a very aggressive breed, as well.

Naughty little bugger from the sound of it, I'd keep my eye on him as well, brooder chicks can change personalities pretty quick when they get more mates to play with or pick on, in this case. Maybe the 3rd chick will help divide his attention ;)

I am feeding Nature Wise chick starter. He just started eating yesterday, but his behavior is one I haven't experienced with a chick either. He constantly bites my fingers and goes after anything that moves. He's a natural born serial killer! lol

Give him something natural to work on. Put a plug of sod in the brooder. be sure the brooder is cool enough. Even though "THEY SAY" that chicks should start at 90 - 95* the first week, many of us are finding that chicks actually do better and mature faster at lower temps. Warm enough so that they act comfortable when directly under the heat, but not a bit warmer. the other end of the brooder should be room temp or less. If you're using a heat lamp, switch to a "Mother heating pad cave". Increase his protein. Scrambled egg, bits of chopped liver, insects. Give him a few crickets to chase. Put some squiggle marks on a piece of cardboard with a Sharpie. Hang a string with some little beads attached. Do behavior management. If he goes after your fingers, use your finger to peck him back. do the same when he pecks his sibling. Finally, if you can't rehab this little delinquent, he may have a screw loose, and need to be culled.

Give him something natural to work on.  Put a plug of sod in the brooder.  be sure the brooder is cool enough.  Even though "THEY SAY" that chicks should start at 90 - 95* the first week, many of us are finding that chicks actually do better and mature faster at lower temps.  Warm enough so that they act comfortable when directly under the heat, but not a bit warmer.  the other end of the brooder should be room temp or less.  If you're using a heat lamp, switch to a "Mother heating pad cave".  Increase his protein.  Scrambled egg, bits of chopped liver, insects.  Give him a few crickets to chase.   Put some squiggle marks on a piece of cardboard with a Sharpie.  Hang a string with some little beads attached.  Do behavior management.  If he goes after your fingers, use your finger to peck him back.  do the same when he pecks his sibling.  Finally, if you can't rehab this little delinquent, he may have a screw loose, and need to be culled.

Lol, yep. Good advice from LG ;)

All is well now and I have all three chicks together. The devil chick is no longer a devil chick, but he is still ornery. What seemed to work was that every time he went after the other chick, I would peck him with my finger. This went on for quite a while then the other chick was strong enough to fight back and I let them duke it out and then they were sleeping together. The third chick was put in with them as soon as she was dry and they both pecked at her a couple of times and that was it. So I assume she might be female and the other two males. We shall see ! Thank you all for some really great advise I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom