1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need help with LOCKDOWN!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robnms, Nov 12, 2010.

1. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I bought 6 coro eggs and went and picked them up and made sure they had a smooth ride, here's my results so far:

I set the eggs in the incy on the 10/26 after the incy was holding steady temps, I bought a new Hova 1602n with the turner and installed a fan.
    About an hour after I set them in the incy, 1 egg cracked so I chunked out but I read after that I could've sealed it with wax, lesson learned.
    I candled on day 7 and 1 was clear, that's 2 down.
    Day 18, I candled and 3 are moving inside the shell and 1 had a "ring of death". Down to 3.
    What else can I learn from my 1st hatch? I think I covered most of the usuall problems, Right?

Temps are at 99.2-100.4 and humidity is at 75-80%, am I gonna have any problems????????

Is the humidity too high, I read 85% and also 65%. What's right?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Is that your lockdown humidity? I would say that is a bit too high. I usually go with 70-75%.

3. robnms

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    Yes, that's why i'm asking. what's the best lockdown %????

4. debilorrah

70%

5. robnms

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    Another question, is day 18 lockdown or 19??? I used the hatching app and it said day 18 to stop turning eggs and increase himidity to 85%. If 85% is wrong, what about day 18? I set the eggs on 10/26 at 2:25 pm and today is day 18.

Feed me some knowledge, I don't want to lose these last 3.

6. debilorrah

Quote:First off calm down!!! [​IMG] 85% is ridiculous!!! Day 18 is right.

7. debilorrah

Next time set more eggs. Hatch rates vary from bator to bator, person to person and climate to climate. I never set less than 12.

8. robnms

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    Thanks, maybe I need a cocktail but I need to make sure everything is right, Thanks for the help!!!!

I had to put sponge in the incy to get the humidity up and since have removed it, the humidity is 72% on 1 & 75% on the other hygrometer. It should go down in a few minutes.

9. debilorrah

Quote:Is this your first hatch?

10. robnms

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    Quote:This was a last minute thing and they're coronation eggs, I should've used practice eggs for the first time but I didn't have time. "LIVE-N-LEARN". I have more eggs coming for the 2nd hatch, FBCM's and Delawares. I'll see how that goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by