I need help with my 3 day old chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mia12, Jun 24, 2019.

1. mia12

mia12 In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2019
    hello please help! i currently have two silkie chicks in a brooder. one of them is really active and eating and drinking. However, the other one just sleeps. i think the other chick is concerned about her because she runs over her and cherps really loudly near her and tries to wake her up. i tried to give her some water of some egg yolk but her eyes just close and her mouth is shut and won’t open. she won’t even chirp! i am really concerned. please respond! it is urgent.

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your chick is failing to thrive. :(

If you have or are able to get Poultry Nutri Drench it might be able to help. It is my preferred product. If you cannot get it or until you can make an electrolyte mix and hold the chick in your hand, beak facing the bend in your forefinger to help catch and direct the drip... place a drop just below the nostrils on top of the beak. When it rolls around into the mouth the chicks will usually gobble and swallow. Get a couple drop in every 15-30 minutes until you see improvement. Recipe as follows...

Electrolyte recipe...

1 cup warm water, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1/8 teaspoon each salt AND baking soda. Stir until dissolved. Serve full strength.

If you cannot find (or afford) poultry nutri drench, I have used liquid bird vitamins sold in the pet department (maybe even at Wally) for only a few dollars and worked very well. Some folks use baby vitamins with NO iron, but this is only recommended if you have it on hand ALREADY. If you get either of these... give a direct drop to the beak, as suggested above and then add some into the water (according to directions) and use that until it's gone.

I have not tube fed but if that's something you are up for there are threads on how to do so. If by chance the chick already inhaled water and you hear crackling when breathing, prognosis is poor. It already is look bad, but get on the suggestions above and hopefully your second baby will pull through! :fl

3. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Agree with other poster! If nothing else available a little sugar or honey water, drop by drop. Keep the little one warm and as soon as it perks up a bit offer moistened chick feed or egg yolk. Also check twice a day for pasty butt in little ones. Can kill them but easy to treat when noticed early

4. mia12

mia12 In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2019
    F129A045-B04B-4EE1-846D-5845BA248EB2.jpeg
    thank
    thank you so much for replying! i have all the ingredients for the electrolyte recipe. but i also have this. is ok for the chicks??

5. mia12

mia12 In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2019
    THANK YOU!! i will definitely try this!

6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

That should be fine as far as electrolytes go.

The nutri drench has amino acids in it that most mixes do not.

How is your chick today? :fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: