We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

I need help with my chicken's foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeatherM123, Aug 11, 2019.

1. HeatherM123

HeatherM123 In the Brooder

Feb 19, 2019
    My poor chicken's foot has an infection. I think it's bumblefoot, but there is no scab for me to open this foot up and drain the infection from. I don't know what to do. One time I attempted to cut into it as is, but I "chickened out". I've treated bumblefoot several times, but not without the black circle scab to drain from.
    I can tell it's hurting her, but she's still getting around okay. It's gradually getting worse though and if there is a way I can treat this, I'd like to try without investing in a vet.

Her comb and wattle are fading in color too. Not sure if this is a sign that it's getting worse.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

2. ashlierami

ashlierami Songster

Feb 9, 2017
    Alabama
    Bless her! She's a beauty! Maybe she has internal infection. I would wash and clean the foot well and wrap it. Antibiotics penicillin or amoxicillin and a baby aspirin for pain and swelling.

azygous likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It does look like there may be pus inside the foot pad that needs to come out. You can try soaking her feet in warm Epsom salts water for 30 minutes a day, and keep looking for a scab or small cut. It may well need to be opened and squeezed to get the pus out. Here is a good link to read about bumblefoot:
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

azygous and ashlierami like this.
  4. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    Ouch, that does look painful! No chicken pro here, but my first thought is, does it feel hot to the touch? Use the palm of your hand and close your eyes. Does any particular *spot* feel hotter than any other? Also, when you gently press all around on that bulge, is there any place that makes her yank it away from you? That would be a spot to look at carefully. See if you can find a puncture wound or thorn, anything like that. The soaking sounds good, and if anything opens up, try to squeeze* out any pus or infection. Poor little thing! Good luck with her! :hugs

Edit: misspelled

HeatherM123 and azygous like this.
  5. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Crowing

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
  6. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I believe the others have nailed it, both in diagnosis and suggested treatments. I would do them all.

Staph needs an entry point. The bottoms of chicken feet are very prone to picking up splinters, thorns, and superficial abrasions, all of which compromise the outer layer of skin to make it possible for bacteria to enter.

After you soak the foot for a good twenty minutes in Dawn detergent (being the highest in surfactants which makes water "wetter"), get the foot in good light and look at it through a magnifying lens. You will need to slice into the pad at that point just deep enough to penetrate the skin, maybe a quarter inch across, and press out the pus.

Getting the pus out is necessary for healing. If you don't do this, just treating with an oral antibiotic, it could take months to fight the infection, which sounds like it has already gone systemic as indicated by the pale comb.

HeatherM123 and BigBlueHen53 like this.
  7. HeatherM123

Feb 19, 2019

8. HeatherM123

Feb 19, 2019
    Is there a certain spot I should try slicing into the foot? I'm nervous about this without that scab.

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would lance it right in the middle of the footpad, but go through the skin. Be sure to have help, disinfect the foot, sterilize your cutting tool, and have antibiotic ointment, gaze, and some vet wrap strips already cut. Put it all out on a clean towel, and wrap your chicken, not too tight and cover the eyes. Here is a video on a bigger bumble scab:

Here is an earlier thread by the same person:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-causes-of-bumblefoot-graphic-photos.399017/

HeatherM123 and azygous like this.
  10. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Feel the swollen part. Close your eyes and try to find the spot where you feel the most heat. That is where you will make the incision. It does not need to be more than an eighth of an inch deep and a quarter inch long.

Sterilize an Exacto knife or one-sided razor blade and make a very clean straight cut. It will not require any stitches that way. Wrap the patient securely in a towel so the wings won't flap. It also helps to loosely cover the head to give a sense of security.

HeatherM123 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: