i need help with my chicks please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken farmer8, Jan 17, 2014.

1. chicken farmer8

chicken farmer8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2014
    dose anybody else raise there baby chicks indoors if you do how do you keep the stink to a down low because my mom is not to thrilled about the stink they make inside the house but i don't know if spraying air freshener would hurt them or not.i always raise my chicks inside the house so i can keep a close eye on them and make sure that everything is ok. but i need somthing that will take the smell away.

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Use pine shavings. They help absorb and dry the droppings. Also, change it frequently to keep it and the chicks clean.

3. chicken farmer8

chicken farmer8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2014
    i change them ever 3 days and they still stink[​IMG] what kind of shavings do you use

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have raised chicks in my house...yes, in the dining room too.....the smell was terrible even though I changed their bedding three times a day...I kept them indoors for three weeks after they hatched from an incubator...when they managed to fly up onto the furniture and poop I decided it was time to put them outside with the main flock...it was during the summer months and they integrated well...my house smells so much better now!

5. Anira

Anira Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Fossil, OR
    I don't see how it could smell that bad if you change the bedding that often. I had 41 (now 32) chicks in my bedroom and I only change the bedding twice a week. It only smells if they step on one of those wet poops they do on occasion. I do burn a candle every once in a while, but even without those, it smells like wood shavings in my bedroom...

I also have a rabbit in my bedroom.

6. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I confess I did not use wood shavings...they had straw and it got extremely dirty and they would poop and walk in it everywhere...straw does not absorb their poop nor the residue from their pee....I can only post about my own experience...maybe I should consider wood shavings in the future.

7. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I don't know how many chicks you have, but I change my chicks bedding every day. You could also make the bedding deeper to last longer. and ventilation helps

8. seann

seann Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    My nose isn't sensitive to smell (blessing and curse) but we have chicks in garage (with heat lamp). My son says it's stinky but I don't think it's that stinky. We use aspen shavings. I change it once a week.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like one of a few things---

You're not using enough bedding
    You're not changing the bedding often enough
    The bedding's getting wet. Wet stuff stinks much more than dry.
    You don't have enough space for the chicks

I never brood chicks in the house--to much odor and dust. Your chicks will be just fine if you need to move them outside to a sheltered building.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I used Quikcrete fine white sand mixed with Sweet PDZ, sift the poops out everyday, very little odor.
    Ditto on any spilled water, wet makes everything smell worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by