I need help with my horse

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Becky89*, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    I have a two year old paint gelding named Cash. I just recently recieved him from my grandma. I recieved a call from her last night saying that the ferrier told her Cash is going to need over $200 shoes because there's something wrong with his foot. She told me she's been giving Cash grain ontop of letting him out to pasture at night. I've never heard of this and I've never had to put $200 shoes on a horse.

I don't know what to do......I've been on google and nothing is telling me anything.......please help

I know these pictures aren't the best but here is Cash

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Did he founder? Or, is his hoof turned?

3. Becky89*

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Quote:I honestly don't know, it was fine untill we started giving him grain and pasture grass a couple weeks ago

4. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    How 'bout posting some close up pics of his feet?

5. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    why does the horse need $200 shoes, or shoes at all? Is he being ridden on hard surfaces, or is his foot problem something that they think can be corrected at this age? If its in the conformation, it cant. Please give more info such as Pics of all 4 ft, from front and side views, as well as info on the shoes they are recommending.
    (my husband is a farrier)

6. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Becky89* :

Quote:I honestly don't know, it was fine untill we started giving him grain and pasture grass a couple weeks ago

I would ask the fariier. Hopefully, it is something like a crack or turned hoof. It could also be founder. If it is founder, it can be food related. It can happen if your horse got too much grain, or too much grass. It is painful for the horse and usually needs more than a farrier. I have had one grass founder. Once it happens, it can happen again. You have to be extra careful with what a foundered horse eats.​

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  7. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I remember when my horse foundered several years back, they wanted to put some fancy shoe on him. I said I didn't want to because he would throw any shoe we put on him in a week. We fixed his problem by keeping him in a stall for about a month with at least a foot of shavings.

8. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Becky89* :

He might have a bout of Laminitus? Grain and pasture grass would give mine hoof problems. I invested in grazing muzzles.​

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  9. huntercf

huntercf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    My brother is a farrier and he has told me about many different maladies that afflict horses' feet. Sometimes they need correction and it can cost $200 depending on where you live. I know that he mentioned cracked hooves as one particular malady that can take special care and items (i.e. type of resin/glue) and it costs a pretty penny. I would ask the farrier what is exactly wrong and then call around to different farriers in your area and get a second opinion.
    Believe it or not but if your horse needs a dentist that can cost quite a bit more, the costs usually depend on demand and supply in your area plus cost of materials.

10. Becky89*

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    Quote:I have all ready had Cash's teeth floated.....no the dentist didn't cost more

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by