I need help with my muddy run...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Teresaann24, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I didnt realize I placed my run right in the place were the gutter from the house runs. right into my run its so big I cannot move it so I need help I have for the time moved my chickens to a small run untill I can get this figured out.

I have considered cedar shavings for the run since its open and well venilated.

Idk if that would work or just over time wear down into the mud.

I need some advice on this matter! Cause I am at a loss other then taking it competly down and rebuilding it some place eles which is gonna be really hard for me.

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Sand works great

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:x2 and you can add some pea gravel or landscaping rock over and under the sand for better drainage...

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Putting sand or gravel into mud is pretty much a waste of money, it will disappear. You want something *cheap* and probably wood-based as a band-aid fix; once it's dried out, THEN add sand or whatever.

Intercepting incoming water is usually a big part of any fix, too.

I've done a page on fixing muddy runs, see the link in my .sig below and perhaps there will be some useful ideas there for you.

Good luck,

Pat

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:why is it a waste of money? if you put down a good layer of gravel..then a thick,thick layer of sand..then another layer of gravel...it works for us...we dont have a muddy coop... [​IMG] all we have to do every once in a while is add more sand or gravel..
    *edited to add..when i say gravel...i mean like a pea gravel..or small landscaping rock..not "dirt" gravel...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:If you put sand or gravel onto wet mud, 95 times out of a 100 it disappears without a trace after some months.

Whereas if you put it onto the same ground that's DRY, it will last for quite a long time, like years and years (or in the PNW, just "years" [​IMG])

So it is a whole lot more efficient to fix things temporarily by a cheap method and then put the sand or gravel down in a *lasting* way.

JME,

Pat

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:If you put sand or gravel onto wet mud, 95 times out of a 100 it disappears without a trace after some months.

Whereas if you put it onto the same ground that's DRY, it will last for quite a long time, like years and years (or in the PNW, just "years" [​IMG])

So it is a whole lot more efficient to fix things temporarily by a cheap method and then put the sand or gravel down in a *lasting* way.

JME,

Pat

ooh i see now..you mean to wait till until its dry before you add the sand...okay..got it! thanks, Wendy

8. Windwhistlefarm

Windwhistlefarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Modoc Indiana
    Runs not muddy, but I used rubber mulch- does anyone know of any toxicities associated?

9. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Thanks for the tips. I will wait till the weekend till it drys and try the sand and gravel. I went out this afternoon and dug a drain where the water was running away from the run. So I hope this helps with it getting so muddy. My other runs do not get this muddy they may get wet from rain blowing in but never as muddy as this run I am needing help with. Anymore tips anyone has plz add them I could use any advice.

10. Tad

Tad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    South TX on the border
    digging a drain is a very important step in your problem, if you can re route the discharge from your gutter, try and channel it away from your run.
    Next to get the chooks feet up above the mud you have to raise the grade, elevation is the key, I would think a very thick layer of mulch would do the trick, I am a big fan of truck loads of chips from the tree trimming guys!!!

I dont like gravel in livestock pens because it always seems to get choked with the poo, sand would be my second choice...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by