I need help with my Pekin duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rachel7861, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Rachel7861

Rachel7861 New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    I have 3 Pekin ducks. I can give you the history....

I got 2 from TSC and one was a victim of a fox or wolf. So then I had just the loaner (both were males). I then found 2 males on Craigslist that someone wanted to get rid of because they weren't useful to her anymore. So I took both and introduced them to my loaner. Now, one of the craigslist ducks is getting picked on (he's actually the biggest one) like crazy. I have now separated him but my question is what can i get so he isn't all alone? I'm going to have to build another pen for him and his future friend once the weather gets nicer because I live in Michigan and spring doesn't want to show up yet. Should i start with a baby chick? Should i just get a chicken? I'm new to owning ducks and horses are the reason we now live on a smaller farm. All of the ducks are around a year and a half now. Someone told me to trade him for a female and put the female with the 2 males. I don't want to get rid of this duck...they're part of the farm and the reason i got the males is just so they can be pets. We don't have kids so they'll all live with us forever.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC! probably what your seeing is the begining of hormone rage which has started in most of the country. Drakes that lived together with out incident are now being mean to one another or picking on one in particular which you are seeing, You have done the right thing by separating the one getting picked on, but I would not get a female and put her in with 2 drakes my goodness she would be bred to death more than likely. Drakes can live together so why not look again on Craigslist for a friend for your one duck, about the same size and introduce slowly, so they have a chance to get to know each other. and possibly after hormone wane they will all be able to be back togehter. This time of year especially after easter people will be looking for homes for the chicks/ducks they bought on a whim and you should not have a problem finding one or 2 or probably as many as you want. But getting one close to same age and size is going to work better unless you want to raise a duckling in side then introduce. All the best to you and your flock.

3. Rachel7861

Rachel7861 New Egg

Mar 21, 2013
    Thank you very much! I appreciate your fast reply. I'm excited to start looking at the coops and duck houses people have posted on here. I did find someone in my area with some ducks they need to get rid of so i did contact them. I hope this one is nice to him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by