I need help with my Rats.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have 2 does, and I havent been playing with them as frequently lately as I usually do since I have been sick.

I took them out today for their daily hour of " knock stuff over in mama's room"
    Well when I went to pick them up and play with them, my one doe had a foot that was bleeding. And since my rats done get hurt easily I went into overreaction mode.

Seems she scrape the skin off of the inside of two of her toes [​IMG]
    I put neosporin on it after I cleaned it off, but im still worried about her rubbing it off on thing

When I finished with her, I went to check on my other doe, Scout, No bleeding, but when I went to pic her up i found this Little bumpabout the size of half a dime [​IMG]

Any idea what it is? Id rather not take her to a vet, just becuase i know my parents wont find it good enough reason to let me borrow the car.
    Any ideas on what it is?

Also, I was told that if I sprinkle olive oil on their tails, they will lick it off, and that it is healthy for them, any one else heard or tried this?

Both does are around a year and a half old.

2. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Keeping the first one's foot as clean as possible is just about all you can do, without a Vet visit. Make sure her bedding is spotless clean.. hard as that is ...and do daily rinses with betadine and then non-preservative saline (not your regular contact lens solution.. but the special preservative free one). Do not put polysporin on her foot, as she can ingest it and it's not for internal use.

For the other girly, the lump is most likely a tumor ..or an abcess... but tumors are almost a 'given' with female rats. If it is on her tummy or chest area.. anywhere near a teet... she has the beginning of a mammary tumor. Usually, they are not life threatening ..and if you have a Vet remove them, they come back sometimes. If the lump is lower and nearer to her genitals, it could be an inguinal tumor and this is more serious ...and it NEEDS a Vet's attention. It can end badly ..and it is painful, as much as it is a nuisance to the rat.

If the lump is an abcess, it will smell bad. You can soak her and it will come to a head ..then burst and drain. A Vet would lance it and drain it for you. You'll have to have daily soaks and then the rinses that I mentioned for your first rat's foot. Antibiotics will help healing and ridding her of the nasty infection and pus that is accumulating and causes abcesses ...but again, you need to see a Vet.

Overall, your best bet is to see a Vet. They deserve that much...

Edit: Coating their tails with EVOO*, lightly, will encourage them to clean their tails ...and it is good for them. If they are already tidy about their tails ...you can soak a small piece of wheat bread or unsalted cracker with EVOO and that is sufficient intake.

*EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, Ill start a daily routine for the rat with the foot

Crap... It is closer to her genitals. And doesnt stink...

Crap Crap Crap... I really hope mom lets me borrow the car tomorrow, I dont like to take chance with my animals..

Thank you

4. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Good luck with your girlies! [​IMG]

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks so much! I talked to my mom though, and she said she will look at the price of the vet bill and MIGHT let me take my Scout in [​IMG]

The way my parents see it:
    Vet Bill : $100
    New Rat : $8

They dont look at it as my baby, so im out of luck there, *sigh*

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I hate to say it, but it's probably a tumor, which is very common in rats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by