i need help with my really really young enjured chick/chicken

Chiken lil

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 11, 2012
hello everyone. i have a problem and il be very grateful if someone could help me. the new chickens i hv bought are now getting along with the whole group but one of them got hurt somehow. when i came back i saw her lying on the ground in my garden next to the pen built for the chickens but her leg was turning blue-ish-y. right now i hv seperated her from the others and brought her where it is warm and am currently giving her food plus water. however i am worried about her condition as she is shaking. apparantly lazy and lethargic she is no longer as active or HYPER as before. infact she has even stopped limping and i hv wrapped a cloth around her leg. she doesnt seem to stop shaking and she shakes in an incredibaly odd way i.e her whole body moves as if pushed by someone and moves like this once evry second. i hope this information is enough any advice anyone?

Hi,
Did/can you look her over for injuries. Check her leg for anything unusual. She could be in shock from whatever happened to her. It is best that you keep her warm. I have never heard of shaking like that. Please give an update on her condition if she changes.
Good luck.
Utterly Blessed Farm.

Last edited:
hello everyone. i have a problem and il be very grateful if someone could help me. the new chickens i hv bought are now getting along with the whole group but one of them got hurt somehow. when i came back i saw her lying on the ground in my garden next to the pen built for the chickens but her leg was turning blue-ish-y. right now i hv seperated her from the others and brought her where it is warm and am currently giving her food plus water. however i am worried about her condition as she is shaking. apparantly lazy and lethargic she is no longer as active or HYPER as before. infact she has even stopped limping and i hv wrapped a cloth around her leg. she doesnt seem to stop shaking and she shakes in an incredibaly odd way i.e her whole body moves as if pushed by someone and moves like this once evry second. i hope this information is enough any advice anyone?
Check her leg for twine or string that could have gotten wrapped around her leg. Are you "force" feeding her? Or is she eating on her own? Give her Arnica in her water and give it to her in a syringe. It will help with shock and bruising. That movement sounds like something associated with being egg bound. Check her abdomen for something round and hard, but be extremely careful. If there is an egg in there, and you are too ruff it could break and then the bird will most likely die.

Good luck, and keep us up-dated!!

thnku every1 for the advice but sadly when i came back today she was dead. i dont really understand how that all happend so suddenly and now a bigger problem is at hand. its a good thing i wasnt attached to her much but my one and only (temporarily one n only) rooster has a patch of pink flesh exposed. he has 2-4 different colours on his body and iv been keeping him since quiet a while now. i have come to the conclusion that there is a predator problem: cat(s). i kno that i should be posting this in another section but any sort of advice would be really appreciated.

Exposed skin in itself shouldn't really be a problem. They can get sunburned, of course, and it is possible that others will peck the exposed skin, although mine do not. You can buy some BluKote (or generic; it is mostly gentian violet) at the feed store and paint or spray it on to mask the area from the others. It comes in handy for applying to minor wounds to prevent others' pecking them, and is also an antiseptic.

Cats of course are another issue. Maybe you could find some help in Predators and Pests. Normally, a well fed house cat won't harm chickens (mine don't) but feral cats can be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom