I need help with my turkeys!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CricketYang, Aug 27, 2010.

1. CricketYang

CricketYang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    I got ten little turkeys about a month ago. All was going well until: our dog killed one, one fell off the roost and broke his neck but NOW.. I found one belly-up in the middle of the turkey pen! I noticed today that he/she was acting a bit lethargic and wasn't hanging out with the rest of the flock, I decided to keep an eye on it and all of the sudden it DIED. Some of them are making a weird sneezing/puffy noise. They seem to make that same noise when they're strutting. Does anyone know what my poor bird/birds might have?

2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    How old are they? What breed?

3. CricketYang

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    They're about eight weeks old and they're just white BB turks. Is the sneezing/puff noise normal? I heard it a few times when they were strutting and figured it was a normal noise.

4. CricketYang

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    They're poop is a very dark brown/black btw.

5. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    need pics of turkeys and poop. Needs pics from today would be best.

6. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    8 weeks is a bit young for heart attacks, I think, which was my concern when you said the bird was belly up.

While I know it's hard to lose them, you've really only lost one to a potential illness so as long as the others are acting fine, their environment is clean and suitable and they have quality food and clean water I wouldn't read too much into it just yet. That said, have you recently moved them? Changed feed? Have you been to an auction, swap, feed store where you may have picked something up on your shoes? Have you had visitors on the property? Anything else new you can think of?

The puff noise they make from the chest when strutting is normal, it's their "look at me, ladies" noise. [​IMG]

7. CricketYang

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    Well we built a new coop a few weeks ago, they moved there with the chickens (chickens are fine), and then we moved them back to the old coop a few days later bc we wanted them on different foods. I'm worried bc theres another bird acting similar. It stands next to the others when they're at the trough eating, with its eyes closed and its wings slightly droopy. Everyone else is fine. I'll try to go get some poop pics in a bit. They won't go outside that much either since we moved them back to the original coop. Its not the heat bc they were outside in July when the temps where in the 90s. I honestly didn't think I'd get attached to the turkeys bc we were going to butcher/sell most of them but I must admit, I'm a little distraught.

They get fresh water and food everyday, very little treats. My muck boots are only for the coop and all of our visitors wouldn't dare set foot in the coop (turkey poop on their shoes fears). The only concern about the puffing is that besides when they're strutting, I've never heard them do it before.

8. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    When you put them in the new coop was that the first contact they'd had with the chickens? You could have blackhead in the soil.

9. CricketYang

Jul 16, 2010
    Mason, MI
    Nope! They were raised with our chickens. The breeder that we got them from was the same one that we got our EEs and wyandottes from. There have been no new birds introduced into the coop. They didn't start acting funny until about two weeks after they made the move back to the old coop.

10. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I have around 30 plus turkeys and had noticed the younger ones getting all puffy and eyes swelling up and face too. Looking not so good. The heads got kinda pink too. I gave them tylan powder 3 days in water. I had to weed the sick out and keep them away from all because it was carring to others. Hope you can beat it. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by