I need help with some glossary terms

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crysmom, Oct 5, 2007.

1. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Water wiggler? what's that

Water Weasel?

wet bulb thermometer?

Thanks

I"m getting a circulated air hovabator with an auto turner and I ordered a flukers thermometer/hydrometer but I don't know what those terms up there are and need help [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This orange thing is a water wiggler/weasel/weiner, whatever the toy brand calls it. You put the temp probe and it simulates the temp inside the egg since the air temp fluctuates faster than interior egg temp.
    [​IMG]

Wet bulb is a thermometer that is wrapped on the tip with cotton or other material to tell the humidity in the bator.

3. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    ah hah! I was starting to think it was something like that [​IMG] i'll have to pick one up

the wet bulb thermometer I won't need right? if I have a hydrometer or how ever you spell it

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, you don't need it if you have a hydrometer, just make sure it is calibrated. The one time I measured humidity I used the wet bulb method. Then I said, whatever, and have yet to ever measure the humidity again. (I just look at the air cell development.)

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Most humidity instructions are 'dry' bulb and relative humidity. "Wet bulb" is a higher reading, so just make sure you know what your aiming for based on what you are using. A standard thermometer/hygrometer requires a relative (dry) reading of about 50% humidity for the first 18 days and around 70% the last 3 days of incubation.

If you use the water wiggler, the appropriate temp is 99.5% F, regardless of any other instructions.

FYI..this is in reference to chickens eggs.

Jody

6. crysmom

Sep 24, 2007
    okay that's good to know and yes its chicken eggs I"m referring to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by