I need HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken12367, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Chicken12367

Chicken12367 Just Hatched

Oct 11, 2016
    So i went out in the morning and my chickens were fine in the coop and the 6 week old chicks in their own enclosure. It was all well, however when I came back from work I went crazy. I think that I forgot to close the run door correctly and on of my [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588235294118)]Rhode Island Red (female) managed to get out and find her way into the chicks run. I came home and went out into the garden at first i heard the chicks chirping very loudly, at first i thought nothing of it and thought they just got startled, however i walked up to their run to find my Rhode Island Red in their run. I saw them all grouped up together in the corner. When i saw that she had killed two of my chicks i went mad she had pecked at them so much that there insides were falling out and they were stone cold. I was devastated. The rest of the chicks were [/COLOR]OK[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588235294118)] but one had a hole on its chest the size of a raisin. I never knew that chickens could be so vicious to their own kind. Could you please help me try to resolve my problem of the bigger ones attacking (sometimes even killing) the chicks.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588235294118)]Thank you for your help. [/COLOR]

2. blairctchickens

blairctchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    North East Kansas
    You only solution as of now is to ensure complete separation of the chicks from the older hens. It is an unfortunate nature of chickens to harm and kill the little ones when they have no place to hide. So with that said, when the time comes to integrate the your birds with the existing flock you need to build some escape areas that are sized to the young birds to run to and or through for safety. You could build a box with slits sized to the young birds to get into and or a barrier in the run that keeps the big birds out but lets the little's run through. Use the search box to browse for chick protection and you are bound to find lots of information to help you out. Sorry for your loss on your chicks. [​IMG] To bad your first post was a downer. I hope for the best in the future. and [​IMG]

3. Chicken12367

Chicken12367 Just Hatched

Oct 11, 2016
    Thank you very much blairctchickens for your help. I will definitely Have a look at small boxes that i could make for my chicks.
    Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by