I NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick-please, Nov 13, 2016.

1. chick-please

chick-please New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    One of my baby chicks is closing his eyes and not eating or drinking water he is alive but barely standing up . I tried putting him \her closer to the water but he won't move . He/her keeps chirping he is also the smallest one please someone help fast !!!!!

2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, sorry to hear about your chick! I'm requesting this be moved to the emergencies page, Sundays can be slow for BYC, but be patient, you won't have to wait long. Good luck!

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC!

Maybe cocci? does the chick look puffed up while standing there? How old is your chick and what is your brooder set up?

Thank you @CuzChickens for your experience and help! I wouldn't know to do something like that!

You can drop water on the beak of the chick and it will gobble it when it rolls around to the beak.

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    No problem, I'm glad to help! If you ever need to do that, flag the post and just write where then post needs to be in the comment. The mods then move it where it needs to be for optimal answers.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Possibly Cold? Try warming it up........Do try and dip its beak in water....a Simple sugar water drink might help too?

Cheers!

6. Kismet Farms

Kismet Farms New Egg

Nov 13, 2016
    Warren, Oregon
    How old is it? Do you have any electrolytes on hand?

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Homemade electrolyte recipe is- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and baking soda, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 2 cups warm water. Mix well, serve full strength. White sugar can be substituted. And if you have it add a few drops of Poly Vi Sol baby vitamins with NO iron. The b's help a lot.

Times I've been sick was too tired to care about eating or drinking. Putting a few drops on the beak every half hour may give enough strength to eat. On my shipped chicks, usually within moments of them getting the mix they throw off some happy peeps. Have had them do that and pass right after as well though. But I know I did what I could.

Sometimes I do a boiled, smashed egg watered down with the electrolyte solution or by itself even. Most chicks love it and it's loaded with easy to digest micro nutrients.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by