I need help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensrock12, Nov 28, 2016.

1. chickensrock12

chickensrock12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    I've been going out to check on my chickens at night and I found one of them sleeping on the chicken wire. When I put it back on the roost. The other one pecks at her tell she gets down. I only have 2 and a big run for them to run around. They shouldn't be fighting. When we lived at our old house. Their roost was a board and they were pooping on it at night. So I took it off and put a stick in there to make them feel more safe and stop pooping on the wood. At the old house I would find them sleeping under each other. Is there a problem with the sticks?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  2. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    Oh yea, one more thing. Should I get a board again to keep them warmer. I think if I do that they will get along. Would that work?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  3. Little Fuzzy

Little Fuzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2016
    I have 8 chickens that all sleep on a 2x6. They like it better than a 2x4.

4. Grace11

Grace11 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Pooping on the roost board is why they make scrapers! If they r crowded, they will peck to get a lower pecking order girl away from them. Its possible you need a longer roost board or a stacked arrangement of more roosts for them. A stick is generally not suitable for roosting on unless its at least 1.5 or 2 inches thick. Again, pooping on a roost board is normal.

5. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    Ok thxs. I will make an arrangement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by