1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by katty26, May 3, 2017.

1. katty26

katty26 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Thought one of my pheasant eggs were dead inside candeled it several times so had it out of incubator for about an hr went to investigate cracked shell no movement so keeps cracking got the whole shell almost off chick starts moving has yolk sack and all still,[​IMG] I put it back in incubator wrapped in a damp paper towel I don't know what to do I feel horrible it's still alive and this was a half hr ago what would you guys do [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Maybe Amy will help you---she and others have a lot of experience on hands-on-hatching.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It will or will not absorb what's left of the yolk. I'd not have it on a damp towel as it should dry out. Sometimes what's left of yolk sac is still attached. It should dry up and fall off on it's own. If it falls off prematurely there will be a lot of blood. It's good you have the chick separated but it should be allowed to dry out, fluff up and get active.

Adding, I'd leave it in incubator until the cord falls off. Get the wet paper towels out.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I gave my opinion on another thread the op asked on. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I went and read it-----You know what I would Do I am Sure!!

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You wouldn't have opened it to begin with...

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do-----a few eggtopsies after the due hatch date----I would have sent him to "chick" Heaven quick!! I feel, knowing everything was right with the incubation---if it did not hatch on time or even a day late----something is wrong.

8. katty26

katty26 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks everyone it did not make it [​IMG]

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

I couldn't without giving it a chance, but with that being said, I wouldn't expect it to make it either. Between the unabsorbed yolk and having the vascular system torn open, chances would have been low. Of course, the outcome probably would have been the same had the egg not been open. No internal pip, unabsorbed yolk, undetectable movement past the hatch day (I'm assuming,) chances are it would have been DIS.

However, sorry to hear it.

1 person likes this.
  10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yep Katty, Sorry to hear that. I have hatched so many that I expect deaths or feel its best at times to "put it down". I guess in time---if you hatch alot---you kinda toughen up some. Good Luck with your Future hatches!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by