I need help!!

Tiffchick88

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2018
I just got 4 new chicks that are 4 days old. I have 2 RIR and 2 Amerucanas. My one RIR is not letting the others sleep and is chirping none stop and gets louder and louder as time goes on. They have plenty of food, water and temperature is perfect. Any ideas what else I can do to get this thing to sleep

Concradulations. Maybe some attention? My chicks used to do that I would finish playing with them walk away and once they realized I wasn't coming back for a while they would scream. I think she just wants someone to take her out and let her stretch. Is it cold there? Mine used to love being held out side for fresh air for 3 or 4 minutes. Let me know how there doing!
:wee:jumpy

I put a stuffed animal in there hasn't stopped it. It just standing there chirping while the others are laying down trying to sleep. It's eating drinking and going to the bathroom fine as I see. It was not like this during the day time has only started since it's been dark in the house and outside. It will quite down if I'm in the room then once I leave in about 3 minutes starts chirping.

They have a heated side and cool side the temperature reads about 90. The other 3 are asleep this one running around screaming it's head off. I'm new to this chicken stuff so what signs do I look for pasty butt?

:welcome My first thought would be lighting what is you heat source do you have a shaded spot for them so they can cool off ? Pasty butt is there any sign of that ?
that is my guess...pasted over on the back end.

Also check its crop. Some chicks are just silly and don't catch on with the eating and drinking thing.

They have a heated side and cool side the temperature reads about 90. The other 3 are asleep this one running around screaming it's head off. I'm new to this chicken stuff so what signs do I look for pasty butt?
pick it up and look at the back end... you want to see a good clean opening for the poop to get out.

Tiff,
pasty butt will usually have feces sticking on their butt, hence the name,
Check if it has a stain or build up of poop on its butt. you may need to wet it with some warm water to remove it, do not just try to pull it off, you could injure the little booger.
I have used a cotton swab to wet the area and scrub it off, I have also had to rinse their butts with warm water in some more serious cases. use a hair dryer on low to dry them if you have to bathe them, they can chill quite easily. Just my two cents worth.

Back
Top Bottom