I need help!!!!

emilynieuwerkerk

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2020
Australia
Hi everyone,
I have had 3 chickens for a few months and about a week ago one of them got caught by a fox.
Yesterday morning I noticed that my 5-6 month old chicken started having some problems- tilting its head and falling over every now and again.
This morning she couldn’t even keep her head straight up but still had an appetite.
later in the evening she couldn’t even stand and would not eat so we took heraway from the rest and now she’s in a box in the laundry.
we did our research and presumed it’s wry neck but not 100% sure. Does anyone have any tips or anything?
Also wondering if it has any relation to its friend being eaten?
Thank you,
Emily

It does sound like she is having some neurological symptoms of wry neck from the attack. But she also could have suffered internal injuries which have affected her balance and ability to eat. Also, sometimes a serious stress can bring about symptoms of Mareks if she had been exposed at some time. If you have never seen any previous symptoms of Mareks in your chickens or had any unexplained deaths, it is more likely neurological symptoms from the attack. So sorry that you may end up losing this hen as well. Since this is the season for foxes raising young, the remaining chicken should be kept in a secure coop and run. Predators are everywhere, and chickens are easy targets.

5-6 month old chicken started having some problems- tilting its head and falling over every now and again.
This morning she couldn’t even keep her head straight up but still had an appetite.
later in the evening she couldn’t even stand and would not eat
Can you post some photos?
I agree, It sounds like Wry Neck. Do you have any poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin E and B1? Try those to see if that helps her improve.

Sadly, Wry Neck is a symptom - so recover a lot of times depends on the Cause - a few are Marek's disease, vitamin/nutritional deficiency and head trauma.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Sorry you're dealing with this :(
Can you post a picture, please?
is she paralized?
look at her pupils, are they normal or have they a strange shape?
How are her legs?
Have you thought about Marek disease?
If it is Wry Neck, i think this article can be good for you for treatment..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wry-neck-causes-treatment-and-prevention.67732/
@Wyorp Rock, @Eggcessive What do you think of this?
Hi, thank you so much for the response!!!
Here is a photo of her head and the last one is when she has a spasm type thing!
I’m really hoping it’s not mareks as I do not want to have to see her go through that :(
Thank you again,

Attachments

• 8248E637-7E80-4ADA-ABE3-0F899B22DC92.jpeg
    8248E637-7E80-4ADA-ABE3-0F899B22DC92.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 3
  • BA9160B4-1FEF-4CD2-835A-3F67321E442F.jpeg
    BA9160B4-1FEF-4CD2-835A-3F67321E442F.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 3AC19A5D-D94F-4A7F-BA7A-6A2742E62544.jpeg
    3AC19A5D-D94F-4A7F-BA7A-6A2742E62544.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 3
It does sound like she is having some neurological symptoms of wry neck from the attack. But she also could have suffered internal injuries which have affected her balance and ability to eat. Also, sometimes a serious stress can bring about symptoms of Mareks if she had been exposed at some time. If you have never seen any previous symptoms of Mareks in your chickens or had any unexplained deaths, it is more likely neurological symptoms from the attack. So sorry that you may end up losing this hen as well. Since this is the season for foxes raising young, the remaining chicken should be kept in a secure coop and run. Predators are everywhere, and chickens are easy targets.
Hi, thank you sm for taking the time to respond!
Can you post some photos?
I agree, It sounds like Wry Neck. Do you have any poultry vitamins that contain Vitamin E and B1? Try those to see if that helps her improve.

Sadly, Wry Neck is a symptom - so recover a lot of times depends on the Cause - a few are Marek's disease, vitamin/nutritional deficiency and head trauma.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
Hi thank you for taking the time to respond!!! Here are a few pictures of her the first two are just where her heads been sitting lately and the last one is when she has a spasm type thing every now and again!
we bought a poultry multi vitamin liquidso hopefully that will do something!

Attachments

• 8432885F-8266-4A9E-94A8-0E4D7AAD8215.jpeg
    8432885F-8266-4A9E-94A8-0E4D7AAD8215.jpeg
    451.5 KB · Views: 3
  • D8A5213E-F2AE-45B3-891C-17214198CBF0.jpeg
    D8A5213E-F2AE-45B3-891C-17214198CBF0.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 3
  • C86A741B-5A17-466E-AFA0-A0CAFFB21B48.jpeg
    C86A741B-5A17-466E-AFA0-A0CAFFB21B48.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 3
What a beautiful little pullet! The chicken multivitamin is good, but sometimes wry neck may require more vitamin E that what is in the chick vitamin. In addition to that you could give 400 IU of vitamin E extra. Sunflower seeds (shell-less, ) chopped almonds and wheatgerm oil have vitamin E, but it might be more simple to give a vitamin E pearl daily. Have you been able to get her to eat anything today? Is she still not able to stand? Scrambled egg, canned cat food or tuna are some foods in addition to some wet chicken feed to try and offer. I really hope that she gets better, but I worry about it being Mareks. Let us know how she is tomorrow.

What a beautiful little pullet! The chicken multivitamin is good, but sometimes wry neck may require more vitamin E that what is in the chick vitamin. In addition to that you could give 400 IU of vitamin E extra. Sunflower seeds (shell-less, ) chopped almonds and wheatgerm oil have vitamin E, but it might be more simple to give a vitamin E pearl daily. Have you been able to get her to eat anything today? Is she still not able to stand? Scrambled egg, canned cat food or tuna are some foods in addition to some wet chicken feed to try and offer. I really hope that she gets better, but I worry about it being Mareks. Let us know how she is tomorrow.
Thank you so much for the help, it means so much!!! We crushed up some sunflower seeds and she ate it yesterday but not as much today. We took her out of the box to let her wander a bit and she can stand but falls over every now and again.
I think I will give the scrambled egg a go and see if she’ll eat it.
thank you so so much!!

Please let us know how she is doing tomorrow. I am glad that she was standing some. Does one leg seem weaker than the other? Does she isenher wings to balance?

Back
Top Bottom