I need help!

Amandajsimmonds

Hatching
Jul 20, 2022
Long story short my two female ducks went broody on 6/10 and it’s now 7/20, they are sitting on fertilized chicken eggs. I was expecting all of the eggs to have already hatched since they are supposed to hatch at 21 days. I’ve candle lighted the eggs throughout this time and the embryos were definitely growing each day, no blood ring was present. But now I’m at the point where I’m questioning if they are still alive… two eggs have hatched. One on the 17th and today the 20th, both hatched with defects. So now I don’t know what to do, do I throw away the eggs and start fresh? The phone attached is the chick that hatched today.

Attachments

• 7A7E9759-892C-4EE6-9C3E-6831EDDEBB0A.jpeg
    7A7E9759-892C-4EE6-9C3E-6831EDDEBB0A.jpeg
    579.2 KB · Views: 11
I am thinking that there isn't much hope for the rest, but I am no expert. Is it possible that they eggs were a staggered hatch and that it hasn't been as long as you think for all of them?

I am thinking that there isn't much hope for the rest, but I am no expert. Is it possible that they eggs were a staggered hatch and that it hasn't been as long as you think for all of them?
That’s what I was thinking but they are very angry women right now, they will attack anything that walks near the nest. They will also cover the nest if they leave, which I suspect that it’s normal behavior for a broody bird.

Back
Top Bottom