i need help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by love4mychick, Apr 18, 2009.

1. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    ok i put my 12 2week old chicks on the floor and they were just cowering in the corner and they would only go to the food bucket so i took that out and put food in my hand luckly they ate it but they still were shakeing and were not wanting to be held or picked up bye me wich made me sad [​IMG] so please tell me what i need to do to make the chickens want to follow me or even just be held by me

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I thin k they just need a lil time ... Also is it warm enough for them my lil guys wouldn't do anything if they were cold.. And mine were on the heatlamp still at 2 weeks..

If temp is good maybe try some treats cruched cheerios or cooked spagetti... Good luck.. My chicks still hate me and they are 7 weeks now...

3. love4mychick

Apr 18, 2009
    ya i tryed the noodles they loved it and we lve in a warm climate they move around but the evade trying to come close to me and when i try to move them from one pin to another they peep really loud wich makes me thin that they dont like me [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Try not to attach human emotions to animals ... I know it's hard but I do it too.. Animals think food, safety, shelter, not nessecarily in that order... Give em some treats and time and they will learn to love you... [​IMG]

5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    also if you think about it, you look HUGE to them.. Some may just be that they don't know you are a friend and won't eat them...

6. love4mychick

Apr 18, 2009
    ok then time i shall give them [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chicks go thru stages as they are maturing. Sometimes they act terribly afraid of you and other times they are more receptive to humans.
    Get down on their level to talk with them. They really dislike something coming at them from above and scooping them up. If you think about it, that's what a predator would do.
    Sit quietly on their level and talk softly. Offer treats.

8. love4mychick

Apr 18, 2009
    so dont go after them let them come to me?

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG]

She is right, they think of you as a predator swooping down on them. Give them time to learn to trust you. Offer treats as they get older, they will learn to follow you around.

10. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    Yep lot's of talking, holding, eye level contact so that they don't think you will eat them [​IMG] and treats, treats, treats! They will warm up to you for sure, if you do those things. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by