I need help!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by knynrstylvr222, May 5, 2008.

1. knynrstylvr222

knynrstylvr222 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    I have a chicken egg, and I got it from a biology class so im not sure when it started its incubation, but if i assume correctly today is day 20. There is no pipping, and im worried, when i candled my egg last night the air pocket was really big, but yesterday it started wiggling a little and then last night I could hear it peeping thru the shell. Im concerned that it does not have high enough humidity to hatch, because i dont have a closed incubator. (It was from a biology lab and I am a college student that cant afford an incubator). On that note im not completely stupid I bought a little thermometer and i have kept the temp very consistent at about 100 F, but i dont know about the humidity. Should I be really concerned??
    PLEASE HELP!!!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is generally 21 days for chicks to hatch. What you are seeing and the peeping is good. Can you tent the area you have the egg in and put in a dish with a sopping wet atheletic sock? make sure it is a very warm to hot sock. It will help keep the humidity and the air warm and moist.

3. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    I will try to tent it in thanks. I have another question, what if i dont have the days right, so I may have stopped turning it too soon but only by a day, is that gonna be really bad?? this is obviously my first hatch. LOL

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You should be fine. Don't fuss with it too much if you can. This still quiet time is critical.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Stopping the turning a day early is not going to matter...It's the humidity you need to worry about...Even placing like Sarah wrap around the top of whatever your trying to use as an incubator will help keep the moisture in...it needs the humidity to help pip the shell and zip out...

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  6. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    First thing you need to is quit opening that incubator. It won't make a difference if you quit turning a little early, but you won't be able to keep the humidity up if you keep opening your incubator to check on the egg. I do have some information that you might be interested in on incubation. You can see it HERE . Good luck!

7. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    Thank you both, Im just nervous I guess and since it is soo close i cant stop analyzing everything i do. Since I could hear it last night and it has been moving, how long do you think it should take for it to hatch? Whatever happens, I will let you guys know, and I will probably be on here all of the time trying to get information once it hatches. [​IMG]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You have to find something to help your humidity and then leave it alone...no opening whatever your using as the incubator...it needs the temps and humidity to be stable...letting either of those out will cause the chick to not hatch out...

9. knynrstylvr222

May 5, 2008
    i made a makeshift incubator, with clear plastic in the top, and regular white trash bags on the sides of a wire mesh square, and I can see the thermometer, I have two little paper cups and a wet wash cloth in there too to help with humidity. I will try to post a picture and you can tell me if that is good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by