I need help...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by slnorac1975, Jul 26, 2011.

1. slnorac1975

slnorac1975 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Portland
    I have 6 hens, as of yesterday 4 are now laying. Yesterday, while I was out, a VERY light brown/cream colored egg appeared. I assumed it was from our Black Australorp, but I was wrong. Today I went out to check for eggs and our Americana was on her nest. When she left the hen house I went out to see if she had laid an egg and there was an egg identical to the small egg from yesterday. I thought she was going ot lay either light blue or light green eggs. My 4 year old sone has his heart seet on colored eggs from his Mirabelle. Will the color change or is this the color she is going to lay?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I bet there is an americana/EE thread on here where you can post this question too. I don't have the breed so I don't know.

3. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    I will be watching this thread, since I am wondering the EXACT same thing. I have five (5) 23-week old EE and 3 have laid so far. Weird, since the 3 eggs are different colors. 1.) Medium Olive green 2.) Cream 3.) Medium sky blue. I too thought EE laid greenish eggs. So far 3 completely different colors. The creamish one did surprise me too. (plus it is not smooth, but rough like sandpaper) And the blue is definitely a blue, not green at all. They are all from Cackle Hatchery, if that matters. Keep us posted.

4. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    From what I've heard, a whole lot of easter eggers are passed off as ameraucanas in the world. Ameraucanas lay green/blue eggs, but easter eggers have the potential to lay any color.

5. sunnyvera

sunnyvera Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the bluish eggs - I would rather have that than the pale greenish I have seen from other EE. Can't wait for the other 2 to start laying. That's what is so cool about EE - never know what you are gonna get. (I hear Forrest Gump), ha, ha.

6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Also the Ameraucana may have been sitting on the other's eggs. I've watched some of my Marans actually go right in after the others lay and either scoop the egg under their wing and move it or nudge it out of the nest and scootch it over to another box. My EE poser girls as I call them lay a pinkish brown egg and when I got them they were sold to me on the premise they'd lay the blue or green eggs..oh well! Like RedDrgn said, lots of EEs are passed off as Ameraucanas and you def can't tell what you're gonna get unless you get directly from a breed specific breeder or you can SEE where they come from.

7. slnorac1975

slnorac1975 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    Portland
    Quote:I had checked for eggs just prior to Mirabelle sitting on her nest so I know it is her egg. She came from McMurray hatchery, which I believe is a good hatchery.

I will post pictures of her and the eggs later on this evening (my hsuband has our camera, now).

8. nerd0geekboyz

nerd0geekboyz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    NorCal
    My Ameraucana lays light brown eggs. I was told that it would lay blue/green eggs.

9. Wisher1000

Wisher1000 Bama Biddy

EEs can lay blue, green, olive, pink, cream or brown eggs. That's why they're called Easter Eggers! The egg color will not likely change much, only a bit lighter or darker, not change color at all. I hate to hear that your son will be dissappointed.

10. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    Quote:I had this happen to me too when I first got chickens...lesson learned about buying EEs when they said they were Ameraucanas on the breed card on their brooder.
    I call mine the "mutt sisters" ...they lay ..so I'm happy, but sure will know better next time.

I'd find some breeder of Ameraucanas on BYC that are close to you, or that you postively know theirs are true bred and get some of those.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by