1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennyhandler, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    My male silkie has a swollen cloudy eye. I did research and am aware of Marecks grey eye but the pics don't look like his eye. This is like a cloudy film on the eye so you can't see the pupil where Marecks pics looks like grey bleeding into the eye to me. He didn't want to walk but I assumed it was because he couldn't see well and didn't feel good. He would if he had to though. I got him to eat some eggs.
    Today he won't eat eggs and now he seems wobbly when he walks. When I was giving him medicine his tongue looked stiff to me. I tried to get him to drink some water. I don't know if it really was stiff or he pulled it up because I opened his mouth. I know that he can move it because he did after that.

He is almost two years old. I have been giving him Tylan and putting Teremycin in his eyes. I don't know what this is. I had thought pink eye because he is not coughing, wheezing, or sneezing. He does not have a runny nose either. Its just this eye. I have searched and searched. I read about botulism, Marecks, Coryza, pink eye, and many more. I am confused and hoping someone can help me out. Thanks.

I know I had some problems with feed molding by getting wet for a bit there so I thought Botulism at one point but I just dont know.

2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Hopefully the Terramycin will help. How long have you been using it? Would it be possible for you to post a picture so that we can see what his eye looks like?

3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have been using it for a day and a half maybe two days. I will see if I can get one.

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    How is your chicken's eye doing?

5. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I had to put him down. He was falling forward and was wobbly. I took him to the vet and they said that yes it looked bad. He thought it might be influenza from the sparrows. I am sad about it but I feel it was the right thing to do either way. He was doing pretty bad.
    I have some cleaning I have to do now, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by