1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need Help!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Desiree Brown, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Desiree Brown

Desiree Brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Schoharie NY
    I was really sick yesterday and couldent get out to the coop we have for our babys. I asked my husband if they had food and water and he said yeah (I dont think he really checked) and this afternoon I still dont feel good but better today so i went out to see them and 2 are dead and one is half alive. Could that have happened in a day and a half if they didnt have food or water. We (me and my kids) feed and watered them and we brought in the half alive chick and trying to care for him. It is my sons favorite and only chicken he has. its a 4 week old buff polish chick and he is so weak that he is laying on his side and wont eat or drink and wont open his eyes. He is drinking if we use a droper and he keeps making motions like he is going to throw up or something. but he is drinking. is there anything else i can do? is there hope?

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    There is always hope. I would continue on making him drink but be careful to not drown him ;) Also, maybe cook some egg and give to him for some protein and strength. Then after that the only thing you can do is wait and make sure he is warm ;)

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Yes that could happen to chicks so young if they did not have food or water. Do you have them under heat in the outside coop or are they with a mother hen? Cold could do that just as easily. Though the throwing up thing I am not sure what would cause that. Childrens vitamins without iron in the water can help as well.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  4. Desiree Brown

Mar 14, 2012
    Schoharie NY
    I just maid home made chicken soup could I add broth. He is not strong enough to eat so all he is geting is the water. would vitamins be better than the broth? We have a heat lamp but we have 3 ee babys that are like 1-2 weeks older and I think after assesing the situation it seams the smaller ones are dieing, and the stronger ones are surviving. 3 died all bantams and one bantam is inside now after I went back out to the coop and seen that he did not look good. at first he did not move eat or drink now he is doing all 3 after he warmed up. but my polish roo still wont do any. It seams the bigger chicks are pushing and trampoling the little ones and I think there body temp went to far down that they got weak. I dont know. I feel horable. [​IMG]
    we have tryed to turn the chick food into a liquid and that did not work. I was going to give him some broth but if vitamins are better ill do that. Thank you for all your help

5. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I would go with the vitamins (make sure they are without iron). I use poly-vi-sol. Good luck (and I hope you feel better too).

6. Bamaroo

Bamaroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    Try putting 6 tablespoons of sugar in a quart of water (mix well) and get him to drink. This should give it some energy...worth trying.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  7. Silkie88

Silkie88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    Canada
    Sugar in water and cook a egg for him would be my suggestions aswell. (The sugar in the water will give him a burst of electrolytes and the egg is great for protein) Hope he makes it!

8. Desiree Brown

Mar 14, 2012
    Schoharie NY
    Thank you all for the advice. the Polish Roo did not make it [​IMG]
    But our little bantam did make it. [​IMG]

She is by herself in a dog crate in the house right now. I am scared to put her back. how long do you guys think i should keep her inside? I have to get a stronger heat lamp for the coop I think. because its like a mosh pit under it when they all want to get warm. the bigger ones go outside but then run back under the light to warm up. and they jump on eachother under it. and i think the bantams where to little to handel it. she is my only small bantam left (Bearded d'Anvers i think) and she is smallest of all the chicks. She has most of her feathers. What do you guys think?

9. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    I would separate her for awhile. Just to make sure she has all her strength back so she doesn't get trampled by others. Keep her warm, and check thats she is still eating and drinking often. Once you think she is back to her normal self you can put her back with the other chicks.

10. Desiree Brown

Mar 14, 2012
    Schoharie NY
    so far so good. she is eating and drinking. she is making a lot of noise tho. I guess she is wants company. Is it bad for her to be by herself or will she be fine?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by