1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HeMcgill, Jan 14, 2014.

1. HeMcgill

HeMcgill Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2013
    I have a little Bantam Rooster who is the best rooster ever and a month ago he started limping after doing some research I thought it was bumble foot Bc his left foot was hot swollen and looked like it had some infection but there was never a black scab or anywhere to see where to do the surgery. So He was getting worse and I went ahead and used a needle to poke a few spots and found some clear liquid in between his toes anyway cleaned this out and cleaned the other spots I had poked. I have him a shot of pennicliion G an wrapped the foot -- went to check the foot and unwrap it two days later and it was looking good. So I cleaned it and left it in wrapped. Gave him another shot just in case infection arises. He is separated and has been a since I started all this, however this last two weeks the foot has gotten worse and one of his toes is starting to turn black. A few days ago I cleaned off al the scab and tried to get as much puss out as I could it bled a lot. Anyway it's now started to stink and I have cleaned it and now two toes look like they are turning black. I have him another shot today an plan to do that for four days. The whole middle toe looks really infected. Three different times I have pulled the scabs off well it kinds looks like his skin is coming off but I pulled all that off and cleaned it. Now I am wondering if that is what I should have done the foot looks like it needs to drain. But no puss comes out. I really love this little guy and don't wanna put him down but I also feel like I am not helping him. I really don't think it was bumble foot Bc I couldn't fine any wound or Core inside. The good news is that he eats and drinks -- he hobbles over to his containers which is sad to watch, but at least he is eating also something else I noticed this last week he has started to get him personality back he is getting mad when I have to pick him up and has started putting up more of a fight. His little foot just looks like it's not healing and with the smell I just wonder what I did wrong and can I fix it. The pics r of the bad foot and I took a pic of his good foot to compare, I also took a pic of his comb and face to see what y'all think. He has also lost feathers on his breast bone I am hoping that's from laying so much-- any help is appreciated, am I doing the right thing ? Should I pull the skin/scabs off and try to clean it deeper and should I keep it wrapped or not? It's been draining clear brown liquid so I haven't bandaged it in awhile

2. HeMcgill

Sep 20, 2013
    I am not sure if pics r uploading I am doing it right but I can email Bc I really need to know what to so

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Is it cold where you are? Frostbite can cause swollen feet, which may become infected and/or die and fall off. Either that, or he does have some sort of infection. Unfortunately, if there is a bad smell and the foot is turning black, I don't think you can save the foot.

4. HeMcgill

Sep 20, 2013
    It has been cold but this started before it got real cold and I have kept him in the shop in a cage with heat lamp by himself, I wish I could get pics to post

5. HeMcgill

Sep 20, 2013
    I'm gonna keep trying to post then

6. HeMcgill

Sep 20, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. HeMcgill

Sep 20, 2013
    Ok I went to desk top version and got pics to upload so what do u think

8. HeMcgill

Sep 20, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. HeMcgill

Sep 20, 2013
    Can y'all see pics

10. HeMcgill

Sep 20, 2013
    Is my post showing up can some one let me know I can see it and other post but wasn't sure if mine was showing up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by