I need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abbe701, Jan 22, 2015.

1. abbe701

abbe701 New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    Today when I got home from school I went to check on my chickens. I notice one wasn't moving and went up to her and saw that her tail was messed up. It looks like a chicken plucked her too hard and tore skin. I think I see bone. She's walking and eating fine now. My dad got this stuff you spray on it and it makes it heal faster. We sprayed that on her and now she's in a plastic crate with food and water. I'm really worried she might die. Please help me if you can. I'll send pictures if needed

2. srussler

srussler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2015
    What stuff did he spray on it? Is it blue? I am recently dealing with one of my hens who got attacked by a dog and almost got her leg ripped off and has a large open wound. You need to clean it with peroxide and put Neosporin in it twice a day. Don't let it dry it. She will be fine as long as you don't let the wound get infected. This is my first experience dealing with a wound on a chicken too and I am getting so much great advice from everyone on here.

3. abbe701

abbe701 New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    Well first he got this stuff called vertericyn and its says to spray two to three times a day. Another thing he got was Blu-kote which turns blue when you spray it on. It kinda bad and I really don't know if what I see is bone.

4. srussler

Jan 21, 2015
    I have been told not to use blu-kote until it is almost healed and when you put it back out in the flock. Use the vetericyn but it has nothing in it to kill infection that's why you need to use peroxide and Neosporin too.

5. abbe701

abbe701 New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    We put one thing if blu-kote but I'll stop doing that. Thanks for helping. She's in the house where we can keep in eye on her.

6. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    what you've done so far is fine but, triple antibiotic would be best. The blu-kote will stain her for a long time but spray her again with it before you put her back in the flock. Idk exactly where her injury is but are you sure it's not her oil gland you are seeing, not bone?

7. abbe701

abbe701 New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    I don't know. Do you need a picture?

8. srussler

Jan 21, 2015
    picture please

9. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It would help.

10. abbe701

abbe701 New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    I'm new to this website so I'm having trouble putting a picture up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by