I need help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by beachbum14, Mar 29, 2015.

1. beachbum14

beachbum14 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    I have a 16' long 48" deep standing coop with 8 hens. 5 rir and 3 black sexlinks. It has a checkered wire floor in it and I put pine shavings in it but they keep scratching it thru the bottom. I keep putting it back in but they scratch it out. Its gettin old. Any suggestions?

2. Shavings are going through your wire. Put a solid bottom in it to prevent this.

3. beachbum14

Mar 29, 2015
    Yeah I could but then it would just be mess with them pooping all over it. Is it ok just to let them walk on the wire or what

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Wire isn't comfortable to their feet, so it's good to give them some solid area- to spend part of their time on.

6. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello,
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family.

I got some carpet samples for mine. When they get dirty, just hose them off. Then put in the alternate dry ones.

7. beachbum14

Mar 29, 2015
    That's a good idea I didn't think about carpet. I just got done putting in some scrap paneling squares in mine but I think when it comes time to clean I'll replace it with carpet. Thanks [​IMG]

8. If you continue to use shavings after a bottom is put in, you can just clean out the shavings as needed.

The carpet samples mentioned earlier is another option.

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

You can get small scraps from most carpet places, sometimes for free.

10. BlueGrassPicker

BlueGrassPicker New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    South Columbus, Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by