i need humidity help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kookykate328, Jun 26, 2011.

1. kookykate328

kookykate328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    the humidity is about 55% in my incubator and one egg is pipping moving and peeping very loudly. both water troughs have water in them and i have 2 wet papertowles and 1 wet washcloth in there. it is day 22. why is the humidity too low!?!?!? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    do have a way to add water without opening the bator?

I always use a tube so I could add to get it up to 70%

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    My hatches are usually around 55%. The only thing I rais it higher for are water fowl. Then I get it up to at least 65%. If you want it higher cover the large vent holes. That will hold it in. You can adjust how much you want by using tape and only covering a portion of the holes or just 1 hole. Thats what I do till I get it where I want it. I use a sponge under the screen also

4. kookykate328

Jun 25, 2011
    i dont have a way to put water in without opening it. a tube is a good idea. if 55% works for you i guess it will work for me too im hatching silver and golden laced wyandottes and bantam blue silkies.

5. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I used to run the air lines for aquariums thru the smaller vent holes to add water before I got a turner. Now I can't tell when the wells are full with the turner in the way of the view. I just keep an eye on the humidity and adjust the plugs in the vents till it hits 45% then I add water. If the turner isn't laying flat I can add the water without removing the turner.

I had decided when I starat hatching alot of quail eggs i'll put the tubes back in. I used a turkey baster to add the water in the tube. The basters that have the needle for putting the marinade in the meat. They fit perfect.

6. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    My humidity was around 55 for my hatch as well and my babies hatched just fine. When you add water to the incubator though make sure it's warmer water, not hot or cold and that will make the humidity higher than other temp waters.

7. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I test mine like I would a baby bottle. But just a tad warmer. My bators seem to like to stay at 101.3. It's impossible to keep them at 99.5. LG's, need I say more?

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    What kind of incubator do you have? If you have a LG or similar I use a sponge during lock down and it brings up my humidity nicely.
    [​IMG]

9. kookykate328

Jun 25, 2011
    i have a hova-bator and the temperature normaly stays fine but the humidity wont go up like i said i still have 2 bowls with wet papertowels and 1 bowl with a wet washcloth. also i covered 2 holes at the top with tape

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Maybe your hygrometer is not reading correctly. Maybe you need to calibrate it. With everything you have in your incubator to bring up your humidity it seems like there is no way that your humidity shouldn't be where it should be and maybe higher. Your meter must be reading incorrectly. What hygrometer are you using?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by