I need ideas for my coop.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Angel16, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Angel16

Angel16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone,[​IMG]
    I'm getting ready to lay hens next week but I haven't built there nesting boxes yet, should I build the boxes but not put them in till a hen lays a egg or should I put them in but block them off?? I'm have never had chickens be for so I don't know. Can you help??

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Your chicks will want to start out in a brooder area in your garage or basement with a heat lamp. After several weeks and the outside temps moderate then they can go into the coop. After 8 or 9 months the hens will begin to lay eggs. You will have time to design and build nesting boxes before they begin to lay. I assume that you have a coop and run for them?

3. Angel16

Yes, i have a coop and i'm woking on a run for them. so would i need to block the nesting boxes off if i put them in when i got the chickens??

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    With Point Of Lay pullets they will need to learn where the nests are very soon. Installing the nests should be done as quick as possible. If they start to sleep in the nests before they start to lay block them off at night.

5. Angel16

So i shoulden't wait till one of them lays an egg to put/open the nesting boxes?

6. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Leave them open during the for them to explore. If they get comfortable with them they are more likely to want to use them.

7. Angel16

okay so just during the day?

8. Den in Penn

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Leave them open during the day, so they can get used to them. Close them at night so they don't make a habit of sleeping in them.

9. Angel16

okay great!! i will get building the boxes now!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by