I NEED INFO ABOUT GAPEWORM!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sizhasasilke, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Sizhasasilke

Sizhasasilke Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    I am really worried about my beautiful Silkie I think she might have the disease Gapeworm. I just heard about it from my book and it sound like my beautiful silkie Bella HAS THE DISEASE!! I don't want to lose her she is only 3 months old and she is the only silkie I got because I am just starting up with chickens as my Grandfather is with the old English game and they are too tough looking for me anyway CAN you guys tell me some symptoms,treatment and if it's contagious from one chicken to the other?
    [​IMG] I crossing my fingers that she dose NOT have it! [​IMG] do not have the disease Bella please don't!! Also she has been shaking her head a lot but I thought it was because she fluffy hair keep on get in her eyes oh and she has been pooing real wet brown looking poo and smells REAL BAD YUCK!!

Thank you so x 100 much for replying!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    What is she doing to make you thin this? Being the middle of winter it really doesn't sound likely. Chickens will kind of yawn and its nothing. Is she ''off'' otherwise? Is she eating drinking and acting like a chicken? Or has she lost her appetite, sit with her eyes closed, cough, sneeze, throw her head forward and gape to get air or dislodge a worm?

3. bcboy

bcboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2012
    Vernon
    Is this what she is doing?

[​IMG]

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Gapeworm is kind of rare, but respiratory diseases such as mycoplasmaG, infectious bronchitis, and coryza are very similar-looking with gaping and head shaking to dislodge mucus plugs, and much more common. Does she have any face swelling or nasal discharge? Does her head smell bad too (symptom of coryza)? Diarrhea can also be a sign of coryza. Does your GF have any sick chickens? Antibiotics such as Tylan, Gallimycin, and Tetracycline may treat some of these, but Di-Methox (sulfadimethoxine) would be better for coryza. Here is a list of common diseases including the ones I named:

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2

Gape worm is not all that common and more times than not, the bird has a respiratory ailment. Look her over for signs that Eggcessive has suggested and get her on antibiotics. Gasping for air like that, she may not be around too much longer.

6. Sizhasasilke

Nov 3, 2013
    Where I live it's Summer. And I changed what she has been eating

7. Sizhasasilke

Nov 3, 2013
    I just sure that video. It looks like she's breathing weirdly.

8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is she breathing like the bird in this video?

9. Sizhasasilke

Nov 3, 2013
    My GF chickens have the Molters disease but she didn't very close too them.

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What do you mean by molters disease?? Are they molting?

How badly is your hen gasping for air?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by