I need info hellp

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ladychickchick, Aug 5, 2013.

1. ladychickchick

ladychickchick New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello all I have 3 year old chickens and 6 weeks old chick, the 6 weeks old chick have been in a cage in the coop with the older chickens now for 3 weeks I need to know at what age can I let the younger chick be all togetter with older chickens in the same coop. And the older chickens are free rage too.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Letting them free range together helps a lot but a single chick that young may not be accepted. How many older birds do you have? Even when they're closer to the same size a single birds isn't easily accepted into an existing flock.

3. Dartanion

Dartanion Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    First have play dates,then put them up.Then put them up at night.Don't let them free range til' a couple months.Ive been through this with my silkies.Hang in there it might get violent.

4. ladychickchick

ladychickchick New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    there 10 older chickens there 3 year old and the chicks are olny 6 week there all togetter in the same coop but the younger ones are in a cage in the coop the older one are let out

5. ladychickchick

ladychickchick New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    there so much smaller then the older ones. I am worry about letting out of there cage that in the same coop as the older ones and letting them free rage.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Free ranging will be safer than being in the coop together. Free ranging, hens will be preoccupied and the little ones have room to get away. In the coop - they're cooped up.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! The younger both groups of birds are the better. You can try it now but monitor closely to make sure the bigger ones are bullying the smaller ones. Good luck to you!

8. ladychickchick

ladychickchick New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    but at 6 weeks old how can I be sure if I let them out to free range and they well go back to the same coop as the older chickens?

9. ladychickchick

ladychickchick New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    the little ones been in the same coop now as the older chickens for about 3 weeks just in a cage

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by