i need info on raising quail in Cages

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chrisarvor, Jan 18, 2011.

1. chrisarvor

chrisarvor Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    bulgaria
    I am thinking of trying my Californians an Gambels in cages
    I need to know about lighting heating etc
    How long to have the lights on an temp in the room
    Any links or pics
    Thanks

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Most New World Quail Require Temps In The High 60's Low 70's And At Least 14 Hrs Of Full Spectrum Uninterupted Light A Day

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Quote:X2

4. AMBene

AMBene Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2010
    Slidell
    Here I go again, either feeling stupid or overthinking...14 hours of full spectrum sunlight. When I hatch my coturnix, and they finish brooding, and they go to their outdoor cages...my planned cage placement is in the shade. Is that ok? There is some morning sun, but filtered off and on. I have my chickens under shade cloth and they are doing great. Wanting to set the quail up right. I also have their designated cage placement under a large crepe myrtle.

5. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:TIME OUT KID! [​IMG]

RULE NO.1 --- DO NOT CONFUSE COTURNIX WITH NEW WORLD SPECES, THEY ARE VERY DIFFERENT IN NEEDS AND BEHAVIORS

DONT WORRY YOUR COTURNIX WILL DO FINE WITH YOUR PLANNED SETUP [​IMG]

IF NEED BE YOU CAN ADD LIGHTS TO THEM QUITE EASILY, BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO ACT QUICKLY TO DO SO.... RUN OUT AND GO THRU EVERY CLEARANCE RACK U CAN FIND AND START SNAPPING UP THE MINI X-MAS LIGHTS, ONCE YOU NEED TO ADD LIGHT TO YOUR BREEDERS SIMPLY STRING THEM AROUND THE TOP OF THE PEN AND RUN THEM. THIS WORKS LIKE A CHARM FOR COTURNIX... WONT EVEN PHASE NEW WORLD SPECES IN THE LEAST... ALSO THE LED X-MAS LIGHTS WORK BEST LAST LONGER AND ARE CHEAPER TO RUN, PULL OUT ALL THE STOPS AND ADD A PHOTOCELL TIMER TO THEM AND YOU'RE GOOD TO GO!

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Chrisarvor Bad News As You're Still Stuck With Intense Full Spectrum Lighting..... Sorry [​IMG]

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:A local breeder has them in cages .91 M wide .76 M Deep AND .60 m High he only has trios in these cages he has a limb or 2 for them The cages looked a bit small to me but he has been successful with them.

8. AMBene

Aug 22, 2010
    Slidell
    JJ, would solar lighting work? Just curious. I have a GFI by the pond, so I could run christmas lights without a problem, but would a solar flood light work? For the Coturnix?

Also just curious, what is considered new world quai?

9. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:NEW WORLD QUAIL= QUAIL INDIGENOUS TO "THE NEW WORLD"

IE... BOB WHITES, GAMBELS, MOUNTAINS, VALLEYS, BENSON'S (ELEGANT), MEARNES (MONTEZUMA) AND A FEW OTHERS

OLD WORLD QUAIL = COTURNIX AND BUTTONS PREDOMINANTLY

10. AMBene

Aug 22, 2010
    Slidell
    Got it! I'm learning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by