I need info on shipping ducklings...

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by TheNewMrsEvans, Mar 2, 2009.

1. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    I've searched and googled, but I'm still lost!

I found 25 chick shipping boxes @ Cutler...but if I'm only shipping 3 would it be better to make a small box with just enough room for them and a heat pack?
    The USPS site says april- aug live poultry is allowed to be shipped...but everyone is getting babies from hatcheries now so what gives?
    I've seen GroGel does that work for ducklings or how about a pear in case they take too long?
    Seems like priority is the way to go...any other thoughts on Fed-Ex or anything?
    How do you get certified so you are doing this legally? If I'm a tiny backyard place do they do inspections? would this cost a ton?
    Some places ship week olds with food included instead of day olds w/o food...why would this be better? or not?

I'm sort of worried about sending my little guys but it seems many people aren't able to incubate...

2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Here is how we do it and I am sure everyone has their own way. We ship them at 2 weeks of age with a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 6 per box and ship express mail. Ducks can tolerate the cold better than chickens. We ship them in the single stall horizon box. The chick boxes are for day olds and with call ducks they are pretty fragile as day olds and like to flip on their backs, they are kind of clumsy for the first few days. We put wood shavings in the bottom and cut up little bites of apple and toss them in with the ducks. The truck leaves the post office at noon so we get there about 30 min before the truck leaves so they don't have to be in the box longer that needed. We always ship in the mornings because if we wait until the 2nd truck leaves at 4 they take an extra day to get to their new home. You can only ship live birds through USPS in usps approved boxes and they don't come to your house and inspect. You are supposed to be NPIP to ship across states but I know people that ship all the time that are not NPIP. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    do you teach them to like the apples before you ship them so they know it's good food?
    So you have to buy the special boxes? i was thinking of making some with double walls for insulation...
    How do you get NPIP? I'd like to be on the up-and-up...

4. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Huh I got an adult female call in the mail this past Wednesday. It came in a pet carrier looking box, like what you would get a cat in when you go to adopt one.

5. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    [​IMG]

here is a picture of the horizon boxes. They come in different sizes but this is the smallest one other than the chick boxes. They must be shipped in one of these approved boxes. We don't teach them to eat the apples and I am not sure they even eat them. They seem to do fine with 1-2 day shipping. Everyone says they look healthy and full of energy when they pick them up.

About the NPIP. I think everystate has different ways of doing things but in KY we call the Dep of agriculture and they direct us on who to contact. It is a free service in KY.

6. TheNewMrsEvans

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    Thanks for the info!

Brandy: I bet that was expensive [​IMG] pics?

7. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I will!! I only paid $10 for her and $30 for shipping so not that bad at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by