I need input! Eggs not developing, ARG.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by amazondoc, Feb 14, 2009.

1. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Awright guys, I need ideas.

I have been incubating eggs since the middle of December. In that time, I have incubated 152 eggs to the age of going into the hatcher. In that time, I have actually *hatched* TEN. An additional 13 made it into the hatcher but did not hatch, and 3 are in the hatcher right now.

Nearly all of the eggs are simply not developing.

These are not all from a single breeding group. Here's the breakdown:

my bantam araucanas = 80 incubated, 0 hatched, 4 developed
    my bantam cochins = 59 incubated, 4 hatched, 6 developed
    wheaten Marans = 13 incubated, 6 hatched successfully, 11 developed
    bantam araucanas from another source = 4 incubated, 3 developed (in hatcher now)

The araucana eggs that developed came from 4 different clutches. The cochin eggs that developed all came from 1 clutch.

Obviously, I can hatch eggs from other people -- but not my own! I am getting EXTREMELY frustrated here.

Here's a few details:

The araucanas and the cochins are in entirely different areas. The araucanas are outside, while the cochins are inside. While the araucanas have a high hen/roo ratio, the cochins have only 2 hens for the 1 roo. The araucanas are quite mixed so far as bloodlines go, while the cochins were probably clutch mates. The araucana roo is probably relatively old, but the cochin roo is quite young. Both are frequently seen to be mounting their hens. Eggs from the araucana pen have shown good bullseyes -- I haven't cracked any of the cochin eggs. I have switched brands of food several times over that period, as well as switching % of protein. I have always stayed at 20% protein or above. In addition to crumbles I feed a hot mash almost every day, which includes a mix of corn based mash plus alfalfa pellets or Calf Manna, plus oats, plus whatever I might feel like throwing in (this might be eggs, or beans, or peanut butter, or veggies, or oil, or other stuff).

I can't figure out what's going on here. The cochins have never even been in contact with the araucanas. Anybody got ideas?

2. natalie1136

natalie1136 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    Dennison Illinois
    I've read somwhere that cochins need to be trimmed for them to mate. Not sure if that true, but it does make since. The others i don't know.

3. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    There are several things that could be wrong. How the eggs were handled before setting and the tempture outside may have something to do with it. Also your incubator type and how the temp and humidity was during incubation. There are so many things that can go wrong it is hard to tell you what the problem is. Read or reread the whole process of incubation and then keep a record of the temps and humidity affecting the egg from laying to hatch or pitching to see what the problem is. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There are several places on the internet to find the information and lots of information right here on this site just use the search and read everything, make notes and then try again and you should find your problem.

It could be if one roo is really old and the other is really young that the eggs are just not always getting fertlized. I think the ratio of roos to hens is 1 to 10 but am not sure. [​IMG]

4. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:It isn't the incubator. If you'll reread my message, you'll see that I'm doing well with incubating eggs from OTHER sources. And since the cochins are INside, there's gotta be more going on than the outside temp.

BUT -- you are absolutely correct that there could be more than one problem here. I'm now trying to set eggs every 2 or 3 days, to see if I can improve things with less storage. And I'm hoping the onset of spring will help as well. Also, as Natalie mentioned, perhaps I should get out there and pluck a bunch of vents!

Thanks for your input!

5. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Each year a rooster's fertility drops. You figure, by the time he is 4 years old, he only fertilizes maybe 60% of the time. Then add in all the hens he has to mate with a day, and how many times a day he does it.. that lessens the amount a lot more. Give the tired old guy a break and give him fewer hens at a time. lol Just MHO.
    Good luck, hope you figure out what it might be.

6. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Thanks Skand!

That could definitely be contributing to the problem with the araucanas -- he IS in with too many hens. Unfortunately, until I get the new pens finished I don't have any place to put the extras. I know, I know, GET TO WORK. [​IMG]

Maybe this is an annoying combination of 5 or 6 small problems. [​IMG] I want everything to be simple and easy and work right the first time!

7. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Hope he enjoys how much stress he puts you through! Give him some tasty snacks, and let him know he's a good boy, even if he doesnt give you all the babies you want.
    I sure would like some of those eggs when you get all the pens and stuff straightened out!

8. amazondoc

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Just an update --

I have now managed to hatch 5 of my own araucana eggs, and have had 2 or 3 more develop bu not hatch. My theory is that this roo's fertility took a nose dive for the winter, and is now slowly improving with the lengthening days.

I still haven't hatched any more of my own cochin eggs since the beginning of the winter. I haven't plucked those vents yet, but that's on the "to do" list for this week.

Thanks again to everyone for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by