1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need Judge Judy

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ChooksinChoppers, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Over a year ago I bought this house and my boyfriend's freind had been living in it...so I get all moved and he moves most of his stuff out which is still stored in boyfreinds garage ....because this guy hasnt gotten another house to rent yet and moves around ffrom kids place to kids place. His "stuff" is still in my garage! gym equipment weight lifting stuff and a queen sized mattress and base. I have been whining about this to my boyfreind all YEAR! and he keeps begging me to leave it there until his short sale house thing goes through! It could take months for that to go through! I got fed up this morning and called him and said I was going to sell it on craigs list. He then threatens to sue me if i do. [​IMG]
    No written agreements. no storage rent. nadda...I want to sell it all.
    what can I do? Where is judge judy when I need her [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Do you know where his kids live? Or the people that hes been staying with? Drop all his stuff off there..

If you dont want to do that... sell it. He'll have a HARD time sueing you. Hes left his junk there for over a year....

Actually, i'm a witch. I know what i'd do. I'd simply call him, Tell him that his stuff will be by the curb on Saturday..(or whatever day works for you).
    And that what he doesnt pick up will be picked up by the garbage men.
    Easy peasy.. [​IMG]

OOH and if he tries to sue you.... tell him that you want a monthly storage fee of $100...for EACH month he had his stuff at YOUR house.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    [​IMG] BUT the gym and weight lifting stuff is heavy and my car too small...I could probally get easy $500 + for it

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Then sell it. But give him ONE more chance. Tell him i AM selling this stuff on Saturday if you dont come and get it. The choice is yours. Period.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You need to check your state law, but there is almost certainly a time limit that determines that property is abandoned (probably something like 30 days after notification). Send him a letter (certified, receipt requested) giving him that amount of time to pick up his property, or state that you will dispose of it as you see fit. Also, tell him that you are charging him storage fees of $X per month for the time you have had to deal with his property. When you check your state's laws on abandoned property, see if there is a maximum you can charge. If not, call several storage facilities and ask their rates for a storage unit that is about the right size to hold all his stuff, and then use the average of those you found.

If you look at most dry cleaners, shoe repair shops and otehr places where you leave your property to be fixed/cleaned/etc., they usually have a prominant notice that items left more than X amount of time after they are fixed/cleaned/whatever they are in for, that they will be considered abandoned and disposed of. Places like this probably can cite the specific law for your state, and you can then look it up to verify the exact conditions needed to make it work for you. You would not want to simply dispose of his property without being able to prove that you gave legally adequate notice to him--that would allow him to win a claim against you for the amount the items are worth. But if you can create the paper trail showing that you did give legally adequate notice, then you can do as you like within whatever the law allows.

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    You need to give him 30 day's notice. Maybe by certified mail. Tell him that at the end of that time his stuff is gone, gone, gone. No one is obligated to keep another's stuff forever, particularly if he is not paying storage and, if he was a renter, he has moved out and is not paying rent.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Oooo; now there's a thought. I wonder if you could charge him the going rate rental of a garage/room/whatever amount of space his stuff is taking up?

8. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Everybody threatens to sue, but very few people actually do it.

I would tell him ok, his stuff could stay, but that starting this month, it's $100 for each month it's there from this point forward. Betcha money he makes haste to get it outta there pronto.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I would combine a couple of these suggestions. Send him a letter via certified mail and tell him starting such and such a date, you will begin charging him however much a month for storage fees. Keep your return receipt just in case he DOES decide to take you in front of Judge Judy. [​IMG]

10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I believe in FL, a certified letter is required before getting rid of the stuff. You entered into a verbal contract when you agreed to let him leave it there. I can't remember how much notice you have to give him [​IMG] . It is at least 30 days though. The laws are always in favor of the renter/freeloader here, that is why we sold our rental house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by