I Need Laying Hens QUICK

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Grandma Patty, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Grandma Patty

Grandma Patty New Egg

Jul 4, 2008
    I need to find 3 or 4 young Golden Comet laying hens for my grandson to show at a fair at the end of this month. If anyone that lives within 40 miles of the Cincinnati area with hens for sale could contact me that would be helpful. Thanks!!!

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    OK,

I'm going to reply here, but you are not going to like it. It is my personal opinion.

The purpose of showing chickens in the fair is so that young people get to raise the animals themselves and learn about them. And, the chicken is the by-product of their work and dedication.

It is not to buy a bird put it in the show, hope to win a ribbon and some money off someone else's work.

I do believe the golden comet is production type sex link bird and has no APA standard, someone correct me if I am wrong, so it would be DQ'd.

Also please on post one topic on this subject, I see you have posted three times in the last 10 minutes.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I had the same thought.

4. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Yup I totally agree, its not fare to other kids showing "their" birds they did the work raising.

5. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Sorry I agree too. It's great that he is interested in chickens but buying a chicken to show is not teaching anything. Why not get him some chicks to raise and care for and show next year?

6. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Yes I agree too. I was in 4H for about 3 years and I showed cows from a friend's farm along with their kids. It takes alot of work even though showing cows is different than showing chickens. For cows you have to get them use to you and to teach them all the positions of their feet. Its definitely time consuming and isn't fair to those who actually did the work. Even for chickens, I think you need them use to being held. If these Comets weren't use to being held by people then that could cause problems with judging because if that chicken flies/runs away, I can guarantee that will have SOME effect on your score.

7. perfectly_polish

perfectly_polish Overrun With Chickens

Mar 1, 2007
    CT
    pips&peeps :

OK,

I'm going to reply here, but you are not going to like it. It is my personal opinion.

The purpose of showing chickens in the fair is so that young people get to raise the animals themselves and learn about them. And, the chicken is the by-product of their work and dedication.

It is not to buy a bird put it in the show, hope to win a ribbon and some money off someone else's work.

I do believe the golden comet is production type sex link bird and has no APA standard, someone correct me if I am wrong, so it would be DQ'd.

Also please on post one topic on this subject, I see you have posted three times in the last 10 minutes.

I agree, and you are correct. A golden comet is is a production bird, a mix, he wouldn't even be able to enter it in the fair. Maybe she is thinking of rhode island reds?​

8. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I think there must be a class for production birds in 4-H. I am by NO MEANS educated about such things -- but a month or so ago I was talking to a guy who is VERY experienced in showing birds, and I asked him where would be a good place to get some locally. And he told me I should check with the 4-Hers at the County Fair to get some sex links. Soooooo........ [​IMG]

9. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
    If it is for 4H, they animal has to be acquired before a certain date. I know my daughters had to have their animals before June 1st in order to show them at the local fair.

Tracy

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I don't think Sex-Links are even a real "breed" which meens they aren't recognized by APA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by