I need mille advice here..mille fleur araucana? Added Pics Pg2

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hinkjc, Feb 16, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I found this chick in my brooder. She is from a mixed pen of araucana. Did I accidently create a mille fleur araucana? I need help figuring this out. She started out looking like a wild type (bbr) chick with dark chipmunk stripes. If I only have one roo in that pen, the odds are he contributed to this, right? So if this is a girl and I put her back with him, will I get more or was this a fluke? Please, give me your thoughts on this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I think you'll never know until you try! [​IMG] She is a cutie... I'd like to see what she looks like in another couple of months. [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are you sure Mr. Speckles didn't make a house call? [​IMG]

4. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    what was the roo in the coop with the girls? could the hen have been fertilized earlier by another roo?

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Let us know what she turns into!

The mille fleur cochins, speckled Sussex, and so on, never look like mf as babies. They slowly get their markings as they mature. So I'd be surprised if your girl ends up as mf. But you never know. I love watching em grow up!

6. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The rooster that is with them is a gold duckwing, that looks almost black (but with gold on his back/wings). He is Dragon pictured on my website.

Mr Speckles had no access to them at all. The Araucana are in their own coop and their run is completely covered (no access) because of hawk problems.

I recently added 3 new pullets to that pen. A hen that looks red now, but when she hatched she looked like a blue/red with some striping. The other two hens are blue and splash. These hens were with a blue/red rooster before being moved. But they were alone for a month before they were introduced to Dragon and their eggs were not fertile.

I thought this baby would grow up looking like our bbr'ish colored hen Sandy, but now I see she is getting the mille pattern on her chest feathers and the top of her wings. That was not there before and when I noticed it today, it surprised me. I never imagined getting anything like that from this group. I will surely keep her to see what the outcome turns out to be.

If anyone who got eggs from me sees this pattern, please let me know (it would be from the MA pen, which is how the eggs are marked).

I'm interested in any insight on the coloring that appears to be coming in and where it could have come from. I think I can rule out the blue pullets, but the red hen is a possibility. It will be interesting to watch this baby grow. A blue egg laying mille fleur araucana would be pretty cool.

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    wow that would be very cool. Hope there are a few more out there and that this is a trait being passed down to more than just your little chick [​IMG] Cant wait to see it feather in more [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It will be interesting to see how she matures.

9. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I'm not sure that she is a she for one thing. I've got two cockerels that started out with about the same chick coloring. I was was sure they were both pullets until they were about 7 months old. They did not keep the mille coloring to adulthood. They are though, the wildest colored Araucanas that I think I have ever produced. I will try to get pictures if possible. I was away from my computer for more than a month and it's not working like it was when I left.

10. hinkjc

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    That's cool Gary..I'd love to see pics of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by