I NEED MORE ADVICE ON HISTOPLASMOSIS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lilywater101, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Lilywater101

Lilywater101 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    Hey, I read the article about the disease on histoplasmosis, and i was wondering if it was enough protection with goggles and a face mask or can i still get the disease even if i protect myself. Also my chickens are free-range chickens and well thay poop EVERTWHERE:rolleyes:except on the porch of my house we definetly try to get them to stay away from the house perimeter. But anyways like i was saying can we get the disease from their poop being everywhere even if we do not stir it??. Also would it be wise to stay at home on a windy day and not go outside??[​IMG](Sorry for the overload of questions I just want to protect myself also will the goggles be enough protection for my eyes?) I would appreciate it a TON if i got some anwsers please![​IMG][​IMG]

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Wow. Wearing a mask to clean your coop is a reasonable precaution. I've never done it, but it makes sense. Of course, use good handwashing as you would in any bacteria laden environment(like the mall).Beyond that, I don't think you really need to worry unless you have an illness or compromised immune system. Pretty much just relax and enjoy your birds. Welcome to BYC. It's a great place to hang out.

3. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Yes you do need to worry!!!!!!!!!! My brother-in got this and became very ill. He was very healthy. always use a mask.

4. Lilywater101

Jan 7, 2009
    I your brother-in-law okay???[​IMG] Did your brother in law get rid of his chickens? After hearing how dangerous this disease is I do not know if I should keep chickens anymore.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wear a mask when I clean my coop most of the time, but I've been around chickens my whole life (almost 56 years) and haven't ever had a problem.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:You are getting waaaaay to stressed about this!! Relax and enjoy your chickens.

7. Lilywater101

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks, I guess I should just relax.[​IMG](my husband told me the same thing)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by