I need more egg laying!!

ChickenCat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 1, 2009
craig county, VA
Several of my girls are going though light molt. I have light on them, and have been trying to turnup the protein. Just not enough eggs! I have 21 girls and get anywhere from 2 to 8 eggs a day. I have several regular buyers and I have more folks that want eggs. There is a female body builder that is wanting 4 dozen a week. !!! Now I know my eggs taste the best, I bought a dozen from another fella (before mine started laying) and his eggs were just like the ones bought in the store. My eggs have flavor, taste, body. I seriously think it's the vinegar in the water.
lol.png
How can I get these girls to catchup??

How old are they?
Most hens lay less, or shut down in the winter unless they have 12hr light. Mine are just starting back up again. Went from 6-8 a day, to 18-24 a day in one week. If yours are over a 2-3 years old, they will lay less often.

These girls won't be a year old til April 12th. they're just be greedy, want to eat and not give me anything back.
sad.png
Eating Layena, all the house scraps, plenty of treats, heads of lettuce, scratching behind the horses and the calves, fresh vinegar water. they're just being lazy.
lau.gif

I just read about 3 or 4 threads where hens had been hiding their eggs. Are you sure you don't have a secret nest somewhere?

Quote:
My "more' will be here Feb. 8. doesn't do the body builder lady that wants 4 dozen a week any good rightnow though.
gig.gif

i got 8 dozen in the fridge to spot ya lol dont know if they would make it ups lol. . i get 12-18 eggs aday from my 21 laying hens ages 9 months to 2 yrs old. iv been running a light on a timer since end of september on at 3am off at 8 0r 9am they actually just started picking up laying good after christmas.

Quote:
My "more' will be here Feb. 8. doesn't do the body builder lady that wants 4 dozen a week any good rightnow though.
gig.gif

i got 8 dozen in the fridge to spot ya lol dont know if they would make it ups lol. . i get 12-18 eggs aday from my 21 laying hens ages 9 months to 2 yrs old. iv been running a light on a timer since end of september on at 3am off at 8 0r 9am they actually just started picking up laying good after christmas.

I have 7 dozen in fridge and 3 on the counter waiting to be cleaned. I get about 2 dozen or more out of 33 girls.

We keep a red brooder light and a space heater on at all times in the coop with 12 hens, and we have been getting consistently 8 to 11 eggs a day. Now, we're down a hen because Mongo is laying, but out duck started laying a little instead. Before we had light on for them when it got cold, we went down to about 5 or 6 a day. Maybe keeping a red light and a little heater will do a trick.

We are getting excellent egg production from our pullets around the same age as yours. We have 17. We had dropped to around 8 a day when the weather got dark and cold. We added a heat lamp on a thermostat to go on if it goes under 40 degrees, and a light which goes on early in the AM for them. We made sure they have water inside the coop and feed lots of treats including flock blocks, black sunflower seeds, purina brand scratch and flax seeds, along with kitchen scraps. We also saw positive changes when we changed the coop from shavings to sand and they were generally happier and cleaner. We also feed Layena 24/7.

Some days we have gotten 18 eggs from our 17 girls. None molting though.

Hope my info helps.

Back
Top Bottom