I need more of a cookie variety :lol:

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by whiteflare, Jun 26, 2011.

1. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Hello, all you cooking whizzes [​IMG]

For the past ... oh goodness knows how many years, ever since I reached an age where my parents would let me near the oven when they weren't home, I've been baking cookies.
    I use flour, butter, a tad of sugar and eggs. Sometimes I will add chocolate chips if I'm up to it.

I'm getting bored of the standard cookie!
    What are everyone's favourite types of cookie?
    I can buy almost anything, there are three major supermarkets five minutes down the road, so ingredients wouldn't be a problem.

I'm interested in hearing some of your ideas [​IMG]

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I thought I'd say anzacs but that doesn't work since your aussie too!! lol

Here are some links to my friends diary, shes a baking nut too and these are some cookie recipes she's posted, she lives in america now so you'll have to convert some measurements etc but hope you like them!

*Maple brown sugar granola cookies*
    http://www.opendiary.com/entryview.asp?authorcode=D263929&entry=75768&mode=chapter&chapter=4

*Peanut butter cookies*<drooooool
    http://www.opendiary.com/entryview.asp?authorcode=D263929&entry=75659&mode=chapter&chapter=4

*Sugar cookies with Royal icing* < I made these, fun to decorate! Great for themed events!
    http://www.opendiary.com/entryview.asp?authorcode=D263929&entry=75656&mode=chapter&chapter=4

*Cherry cookies*
    http://www.opendiary.com/entryview.asp?authorcode=D263929&entry=75055&mode=chapter&chapter=4

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Caramel Shortbread Squares

Ingredients
    · 2/3 cup (6 ounces) butter, softened
    · 1/4 cup (2 ounces) white sugar
    · 1 1/4 cups (5-2/3 ounces) all-purpose flour
    · 1/2 cup (4 ounces) butter
    · 1/2 cup (5 ounces) packed light brown sugar
    · 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) light corn syrup
    · 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
    · 1 1/4 cups (8 ounces) milk chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).
    2. In a medium bowl, mix together 2/3 cup (6 ounces) butter, white sugar, and flour until evenly crumbly. Press into a 9-inch square-baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
    3. In a 2-quart saucepan, combine 1/2-cup (4 ounces) butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk. Bring to a boil. Continue to boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes. Pour over baked crust (warm or cool). Cool until it begins to firm.
    4. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, then stir and continue to heat and stir at 20-second intervals until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour chocolate over the caramel layer and spread evenly to cover completely. Chill. Cut into 1-inch squares. These need to be small because they are so rich.

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

4- ounce stick of salted butter
    7- ounces shortening
    1- pound brown sugar
    4- ounces white sugar
    1/4- cup (2 ounces) heavy cream
    2 tablespoons vanilla
    1 whole large egg
    2 large egg yolks

1 pound + 2 ounces bread flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
    8 ounces finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 325°

In a large mixer bowl, on medium speed, cream butter, shortening and sugars until very light and fluffy…about 5 minutes. Add the rest of the liquids one at a time and beat well after each.

In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients and stir well to distribute the ingredients.

A little at a time, mix the dry ingredients into the sugar mixture. When all the dry ingredients have been incorporated, add the nuts and chocolate chips; by this time your mixer bowl may be full so you may have to stir them in by hand.

Using an ice cream scoop make dough balls, 2 ounces each and place 6 balls on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake for 18 minutes.

Cool cookies on a cooling rack by sliding the parchment paper off the cookie sheet onto the rack.

Store in airtight container.
    Makes 40 cookies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ina Garten’s Lemon Bars

For the crust:
    1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup (4 ounces) granulated sugar
    2 cups (9 ounces) flour
    1/8 teaspoon kosher salt

For the filling:
    6 extra-large eggs at room temperature (I used 9 of my large eggs)
    3 cups (1-1/2 pounds) granulated sugar
    2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
    1 cup (8 ounces) freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 to 5 large lemons)
    1 cup (4-1/2 ounces) flour
    Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

For the crust, cream the butter and sugar until light in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Combine the flour and salt and, with the mixer on low, add to the butter until just mixed. Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and gather into a ball. Flatten the dough with floured hands and press it into a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking sheet, building up a 1-inch edge on all sides. Chill.

Bake the crust for 15 to 20 minutes, until very lightly browned. Let cool on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
    For the filling, whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and flour. Pour over the crust and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
    Cut into triangles and dust with confectioners' sugar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  4. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

5. LostMindPleaseFind

LostMindPleaseFind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    Little Rock, AR
    [​IMG] omg...subscribed topic. [​IMG] keep 'em coming
    [​IMG]

6. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Betty, I bet folks invite themselves to your house for dinner a bunch. If Texas weren't quite so far, I'd be angling to come myself. Your deserts always look so good. I can almost taste those lemon bars.

7. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Ken, you're so very kind. I would love to have anyone that would like to come. We don't get visitors nearly as often as we would like. We live too far out in the sticks and it seems everyone's life is so busy there just not enough time to spare.

8. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Thank you all very much! [​IMG]
    I am looking forward to trying some of these recipes. Keep them coming!
    Betty: I am not usually a lemon dessert kind of girl, but those lemon squares look really tempting [​IMG]

9. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    How are the lemon bars Betty? Are they really strong lemon taste? I like lemon but not too strong.

10. BettyR

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:They are good.

Quote:I don't know how to answer that question. I love lemon anything so what may be too strong for you may not be lemony enough for me. I add extra eggs to this dessert to make the filling thicker and richer so that may cut the lemon taste a bit but it is most definitely lemon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by