1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need of some tips or advice ASAP!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Beth77, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Beth77

Beth77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    Hi everyone, this is Martha, my 20ish week old Buff Orpington. I've entered her in a show that's on tomorrow at an agricultural event, I know she's young but it's good practice for her. This is my second poultry show, I came first in the novice section at the Highland Show with my Black Rock earlier this year, but this time it's the Orpington category at a different show. She's had a bath and I've picked all the dirt out of her leg scales with a toothpick. I've also been using baby oil on her legs the past few days to keep them soft. And I've got some petroleum jelly for final preparations at the show tomorrow - Even though she has no comb or wattles to put it on!! But I'll bring it just in case.

Any last minute tips or advice?? - I'm open to anything you've got! Does she look ok?

[​IMG]

Thanks!:cd

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A bit young, but she looks to be of good type and in good condition. Good luck!

3. Beth77

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    Thank you! She came second, will try her at lots more shows. She's a bit young like you said.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done! It will be interesting to see how she matures. What were the judges comments?

5. Beth77

Aug 10, 2015
    Scotland
    Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to speak to the judge, but I'm pretty sure her age gave her a disadvantage. I bought a few more 10 week old chicks, so I'll show them when they come of age.:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by