I need opinions on choosing roosters.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FriendlyFlyer, Aug 27, 2012.

1. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chirping

Jul 16, 2011
    Ok. I have 2 roosters (both barred rocks) and can only keep one. Technically I believe they are "cockerels". They are not full grown and haven't mated yet. I need help choosing which one to keep. I want one that will protect my hens (not that the situation would ever arise) and still treat me well. From your experience which one would be better. Here are their qualities:

Rooster#1:
    -more dominant
    -flighty, always runs from me
    -feathers are slightly messy

Rooster#2:
    -less dominant
    -runs from me but will still eat out of my hand and come near me
    -well groomed bird

I know it's not a lot but I guess it boils down to this: if I keep the nicer one, will he eventually become meaner like the dominant one or stay nice? and if he does stay nice, will he still protect the hens (most of which are older than him but I'm guessing when he's grown and mature he'll be in charge). Please help me. Thank you!

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Songster

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    I would pick rooster #2 if I could only have one. We have a golden comet roo and a Plymoth Rock roo. The Rock is more aggressive towards the girls (about 15 Buffs, Plymoth Rocks, and Road Island Reds) but stays clear of me. The Golden does a fine job of keeping a watchful eye in the sky as the girls free range.

3. charro2

charro2 In the Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    Most roosters will defend their hens. Since they are so young, I would wait a little longer and see if either one becomes aggressive - which you do not want. Wait until they are sexually mature. Also, you can better tell if they have any faults that might be passed on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: